Sound Card...
Apr 29, 2005 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pookyman

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about buying a new computer and a motherboard I'm interested in getting the Asus A8V has a sound card built in. Do you think that sound card would be good enough for my computer?

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 4
Im sure your computer will like it just fine. The question is will you?

To answer the context of the question, everyone should have an Emu 0404 for their windows PC. It's probably the best $85 you'll ever spend on a piece of audio equipment. It's performance for the cost puts so much of the audiophile hobby to shame!

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 4
Well I've got the older Asus P4P8X and in my experience the onboard AI Audio wasn't too awful bad. It worked fine for my Klipsch 2.1, but when I got my Grado's it didn't work as well. At first I really thought that my headphones were screwed up because I kept hearing these little pops...turns out that it was the onboard audio. After I switched sources the pops were eliminated.

IMO, if you are going to be running headphones out of it I would take a listen first if you can then maybe consider getting a PCI sound card (ie AV710, it's not too expensive). But I could be entirely wrong, maybe you'll have better luck than me!!!
biggrin.gif

Good luck,
Andrew

Apr 30, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 4
I have the A8V, and use the onboard audio. I used the Creative Soundblaster LIVE! card, until I saw all of the praise about the AV-710, which ended up not sounding all that different to me. I was just going to keep it, until... I went to play Combat Flight Simulator 3, and the sound was just awful with many pops, and other noises. So, I sold the AV-710, and decided to try the onboard, which to my supprise, sounded fine for music, and perfect for gaming! Eventually I might upgrade, but I doubt it, I'll more likely invest in better headphones for my H320!
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back