Sound card upgrade from stock - what to get?
Dec 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

aj_brown_99

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Seeing as I now own a decent set of headphones for use with my computer (Denon D1001), I am looking to buy a new sound card for my computer. I have decided to buy an iPod touch after trying out an Archos 5 and returning it after not being satisfied. My main issue with the ipod is that the sound quality is definitely sub-par. I guess a side question would be: would I be able to really change the sound quality by adding an amp (a really cheap one: Fiio E5 maybe)? Or would I require a line-out for the sound to not get screwed up by the internal amp?

Anyways, I think that I can live with the worse sound quality out of the portable, as I am not really paying close attention to the sound quality most of the time when on the bus etc. But when I'm at home, its an entirely different story. The only thing is that in the past, I have relied on my D2 for use at home, since the sound quality is fantastic. Then the archos, which was worse than the d2, but still pretty decent. But after doing a blind test for SQ between my Archos and my friend's itouch, I really noticed the difference and was able to spot which was which no problem. And the onboard on my computer is not so great either, probably around equal to the ipod.

Basically, I want to spend as little money as possible on a new sound card, since I am paying $400 for the ipod. What can you recommend for me that will improve sound quality significantly over the stock (hopefully to at least the level of the archos at the least)? I am hoping to spend around $50, but I'm not sure if I can get anything worth buying for that price. I would also be open to other configuration options, but please explain carefully, as I am really clueless when it comes to this sort of thing.

I look forward to your help.

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a Chaintech AV710 off the bay for cheap money and recap it.

How to/Where to:
Primer on Recapping - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

rolleyes.gif

To the OP: There's no need to "recap" the AV-710. It's a great card (and a better value) as is, assuming you can find it.

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_brown_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...not really into the whole DIY thing with soldering and whatnot. I'd just be afraid of messing something up (I don't even know how to solder). Any other ideas?

Even stock the AV710 is a very nice sounding card. Pretty much the best out there for the money ($25-30).

Looks like there are 2 refurb'd Auzentech X-Plosions on eBay atm for about $63 shipped. There are 3 listings for it so looks like there are 6 total.

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like there are 2 refurb'd Auzentech X-Plosions on eBay atm for about $63 shipped. There are 3 listings for it so looks like there are 6 total.

Shipping in US only
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even stock the AV710 is a very nice sounding card. Pretty much the best out there for the money ($25-30).

This is great news for me. This is definitely the price range I want to be in (price range: as cheap as possible
icon10.gif
). I am just wondering whether this card should be a significant step up in sound quality over my stock card ("Realtek HD audio rear output" is what I get when I run Direct X diagnostic)? Do you think it would be more comparable to my Archos 5, or even my D2 in sound quality?

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_brown_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shipping in US only
frown.gif

This is great news for me. This is definitely the price range I want to be in (price range: as cheap as possible
icon10.gif
). I am just wondering whether this card should be a significant step up in sound quality over my stock card ("Realtek HD audio rear output" is what I get when I run Direct X diagnostic)? Do you think it would be more comparable to my Archos 5, or even my D2 in sound quality?

Even today the AV710 is better than most any on board system. I've been using mine for about 6 years. I think I paid $17 for it back in the day. I can't compare it to your portables because I've never used my computer for headphones; speakers only, and I've never heard those portables.
confused_face.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 15
I would second the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music.. perhaps a Turtle Beach Riviera ($30) or a Turtle Beach Montego ($50). I don't know about the Chaintech, but they do seem to be regarded as the best card for the money on head-fi. For a little extra cash, you could get a Hotaudio HOTUSB1..

Honestly, if sound quality is really important to you I would save up just a little bit more money. You could probably find an EMU 1212m used for $70-$80, and that would blow away anything that's been recommended so far. If you have a discerning ear, I have a feeling all these cards would be disappointing to you..

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 15
The Chaintech AV710 is excellent for the money but as Brandon B said, get the EMU 1212m if you can. It'll serve you well. The HOTUSB1 is a great little DAC too, but I'm not sure how it compares with the EMU.

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #12 of 15
I think I could stand to spend $70 on the EMU, if that would produce really great results for me. I have heard this card spoken of here on head-fi before, but I am just wondering as to the true purpose of the card, as the website states:

"The EMU 1212M Digital Audio System delivers everything you need to produce audio on a PC with professional results - 24-bit/192kHz converters (the same A/D converters used in Digidesign's flagship Pro Tools® HD 192 I/O interface), hardware-accelerated effects and mixing, and seamless compatibility with your favorite PC audio/sequencer software. Whether you are recording full-blown productions or running virtual instruments on a dedicated computer, the EMU 1212M Digital Audio System is the perfect solution for any application that only requires a couple channels of premium analog I/O (i.e. mastering, remixing and running virtual instruments)."

In other words, it seems to me that it is more meant for making/mixing music than listening to it. Am I right?

Another newbie question: how exactly does use a DAC such as the HOTUSB1 with the computer? In other words, do you run some kind of a line out to the DAC, otherwise I would think that the signal would be distorted by the onboard sound card? Also, if I was switching between speakers and headphones, would I repeatedly have to switch between plugging the phones and the speakers into the DAC?

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #13 of 15
You are in a similiar situation to me and ive been reasearching for days looking at hundreds of different cards

the usb dacs, like the HOTUSB1 its uses a usb port to get the signal from your pc

Just so you know im looking at the xfi range too and the EMU

Jan 14, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerrgreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are in a similiar situation to me and ive been reasearching for days looking at hundreds of different cards

the usb dacs, like the HOTUSB1 its uses a usb port to get the signal from your pc

Just so you know im looking at the xfi range too and the EMU

Good to know someone is in the same boat as me. I think I have decided on the HOTUSB1 since it seems to have great sound quality, and is really simple. With the Emu1212 it seems like you are paying extra for all of the extra features and software that I don't really need. Plus its cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back