Sound Card to DT 990/600. Looking for the cheap path. Dot MK II?
Feb 5, 2011 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pcgamer

New Head-Fier
I currently own an Xonar DX sound card. Looking to acquire some cans that will both fulfill my fun and Competitive needs.

The DT 990/600 looks sweet. The prices on these cans have SKYROCKETED recently. So I will be looking at a used/open box pair on Amazon for $200ish.

The cheapest quality AMP that I have found was the Little Dot MK II for $140.
http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=816&sid=d083d871f5deb3a86805b6aa4167bacc

Seems like all I need is a 3.5 to RCA cable and I would be set?

These cans would be used primarily for gaming. For movie watching I'll most likely stick with my sub par 2.1 setup. So I don't think there would be much use trying to utilize the Dolby Digital Live connection on my sound card, right? And since my sound card already has Dolby Headphone. I don't think there is a need for something like a MIXAMP.

I'm new to the Head-Fi arena. Looking to take a nice step up in terms of my PC Audio quality. I was considering the AD700 since it would be cheaper and doesn't require an AMP. But I'm looking for phones that will thump when needed also.

BTW I'm more of a set it and forget it user. So I'd rather forget about tubes all together and not have to worry about replacing bad tubes. So some non tube suggestions would be great also.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 3
$140 for the MK II looked good lol.

I know that I could easily spend $20k if I had the cash. I'm just looking at the cheapest solution that would run the DT 990/600 for games properly. Maybe not FiiO E5 cheap (if it even had the power).

From whatever the base line is I'll consider if upgrading to a higher component makes any scene or not.

From the research I have done, the MK II is the cheapest AMP I should consider for the DT 990/600. Not sure if that's true or not. It's just what my findings have lead me to believe. If there is a cheaper alternative that wont jeopardize too much quality, then great. A tubeless version would be ideal as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back