Sound Card Recommendations?
Aug 13, 2010 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

EternalEmpire

100+ Head-Fier
I know a fair amount about computer hardware but when it comes to sound cards I'm clueless so I was hoping someone here could help me.

I'm looking to spend around £50 ($80~) but other than that I don't really have any specific requirements other than that it does the job well and is worth the money.

Thanks for any replies.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 24
Aug 14, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
Xonar cards are the best value, HT omega's typically in the same area.
Check out RMAA tests on the cards before buying - RMAA doesn't lie.

I looked up the Xonar cards and this one seems to fit my budget perfectly:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002BZL42K/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0KXZJ0M0WG8GJS380JM5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128473&pf_rd_i=468294

Just looking for a second opinion though since my knowledge on sound cards is fairly limited; is this card good?

Edit - Here are the specs:
  1. Sound Output Mode: 7.1 channel surround
  2. DAC Data Width: 24-bit
  3. Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz (min) - 192 kHz (max)
  4. Signal-To-Noise Ratio: 107 dB

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
I'd have said go for DX, but since you're in the UK it's a lot more. =/

DS is not much better than onboard.

Oh :/ I checked the prices for the DX and it's £20 ($30~) more than the DS so it's quite a bit over what I'd like to spend. I'm not sure if I have any free PCI-E ports anyway so I might not have been able to use it even if it was cheaper. I found a D1 for £60, though I didn't really want to spend that much. Would it be worth the extra £10 for the D1?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Xonar-D1-channel-surround/dp/B001E17JCG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281845946&sr=1-4

There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the two from looking at the specs:
  1. Sound Output Mode: 7.1 channel surround
  2. DAC Data Width: 24-bit
  3. Sample Rate: 192 kHz (max)
  4. Signal-To-Noise Ratio: 116 dB

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 24
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_xonar_d1/6.htm

Hmm... think that's similar to what DS measured. I can't remember. Well , still beats onboard.
FYI advertised SNR and Real Life SNR are two completely different things. I've never gotten better than 114db snr out of my STX.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 24

Quote:

Hmm... think that's similar to what DS measured. I can't remember. Well , still beats onboard.
FYI advertised SNR and Real Life SNR are two completely different things. I've never gotten better than 114db snr out of my STX.

In your opinion, would there be enough of a difference between onboard and this sound card to warrant spending £60 ($95~) on it? Or should I look at raising my budget higher?

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 24
Yeah I've always wondered if a sound card had a significant improvement over the onboard on a motherboard too.

And wouldn't it be a better investment to get better headphones?

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 24
Raise your budget higher? Yeah, buy better headphones, DACs are largely irrelevant.

An upgrade over onboard will be a bit better, but it's not a night and day difference like upgrading your endpoint or changing to a genre of music that's not a victim of loudness war mastering. After a $80ish sound card, the returns diminish drastically.

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
Raise your budget higher? Yeah, buy better headphones, DACs are largely irrelevant.

An upgrade over onboard will be a bit better, but it's not a night and day difference like upgrading your endpoint or changing to a genre of music that's not a victim of loudness war mastering. After a $80ish sound card, the returns diminish drastically.

I was under the impression that the sound card made a lot more difference than that, guess I'd be better off spending that money on some better headphones then.

Thanks for the help.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #12 of 24

Quote:

..and how did you measure it, using loopback mode with RMAA?

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
I was under the impression that the sound card made a lot more difference than that, guess I'd be better off spending that money on some better headphones then.

Thanks for the help.

They do make a difference.  See if you can listen to whatever you are interested in and use YOUR ears to make up your mind.  Make sure you buy from stores with good return policies...This way, if you don't like what you are hearing you can return it.

Good headphones/speakers are very important but if your source is limited, your sound will be limited no matter what heapdheons you have.  Now, if you have headphones that are limiting you then your source will not make any difference.

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
They do make a difference.  See if you can listen to whatever you are interested in and use YOUR ears to make up your mind.  Make sure you buy from stores with good return policies...This way, if you don't like what you are hearing you can return it.

Good headphones/speakers are very important but if your source is limited, your sound will be limited no matter what heapdheons you have.  Now, if you have headphones that are limiting you then your source will not make any difference.

I live in England and there's really nowhere here where you can try electronics before you buy them unfortunately. Everything in electronics stores is usually considerably more expensive than it is online too.

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
I live in England and there's really nowhere here where you can try electronics before you buy them unfortunately. Everything in electronics stores is usually considerably more expensive than it is online too.

Bummer.  That would help you alot as you can be the final judge.
I guess you are stuck reading reviews and asking opinions.
Just make sure you get opinions based on actual use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back