Sound Card Recommendations if I only use headphones?
May 1, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #16 of 44

Quote:

Do you or do you not game? If you do, an external DAC won't give you anything other than the most basic audio in games. For music, it will be just fine. You're the one who knows your priorities.

I do game.  That's the main reason why I want to buy some dedicated hardware.  Maybe I should really consider the Titanium HD.  I'll probably wait until I could get it for $140 at least though.  I''ll just use the onboard sound that I have been doing for the past 4 months until I see a better deal out there.

May 1, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 44

Quote:

I do game.  That's the main reason why I want to buy some dedicated hardware.  Maybe I should really consider the Titanium HD.  I'll probably wait until I could get it for $140 at least though.  I''ll just use the onboard sound that I have been doing for the past 4 months until I see a better deal out there.

Then a soundcard with gaming audio support is very much recommended.

I do agree that if you can't get the Titanium HD (or the also valid Auzentech X-Fi Forte) right now, it's better to wait some time while putting some money on the side and getting it rather than spending less and ending up with something that might not be ideal for your needs.

May 1, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #19 of 44

Quote:
I just found this for $130. http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=30971&vpn=70SB088600003&manufacture=Creative%20Labs#ProductDetails

Is there much of a difference between this and the one you recommended?

It's enough of a difference to warrant getting the Auzentech X-Fi Forte. But it would be better to save further and go straight for the Creative X-Fi Forte. Despite the three cards having the complete gaming audio feature set, the components are of quite higher quality when compared to the Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty.

The smart move, IMO, is to wait some more until you can get either the Forte or the Titanium HD.

May 1, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #20 of 44

Quote:

It's enough of a difference to warrant getting the Auzentech X-Fi Forte. But it would be better to save further and go straight for the Creative X-Fi Forte. Despite the three cards having the complete gaming audio feature set, the components are of quite higher quality when compared to the Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty.

The smart move, IMO, is to wait some more until you can get either the Forte or the Titanium HD.

Thanks, I'll just wait on getting the Titanium HD at $140.  Thanks for all your help.

May 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #25 of 44

Quote:
I second the Titanium HD, but I went for the STX myself because of the better amp section :) 

Is the STX better for gaming or not as good as Titanium HD?  It's about $50 more but maybe it's better, better drivers ect?  I'll be using this for about 90% gaming with the other 10% being Music and movies.  The bad drivers is what scares me a little.  I know Roller you say if you install them properly there wont be any issues, but than I read so many bad reviews about the bad drivers from people that have bought this.  Are they just using the old outdated drivers that come on the disc or what?  Am I being too paranoid here about this?

May 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Is the STX better for gaming or not as good as Titanium HD?  It's about $50 more but maybe it's better, better drivers ect?  I'll be using this for about 90% gaming with the other 10% being Music and movies.  The bad drivers is what scares me a little.  I know Roller you say if you install them properly there wont be any issues, but than I read so many bad reviews about the bad drivers from people that have bought this.  Are they just using the old outdated drivers that come on the disc or what?  Am I being too paranoid here about this?

Yes you're being way too paranoid about this. Drivers are fine. I have an X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion and everything works as it should and sounds great for games, movies, and music. You need to take user reviews on sites like amazon and newegg and others like it with a grain of salt. Lots of haters out there and they like to use those sites to get their hate on.

May 1, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #27 of 44
Hi jesb ... 
I am creative hater because because of the mentality of Creative in general (marketing, paying devs and driver stuff) so i went from sound blaster cards to Xonar DX and then to Xonar ST that now feed my ATH M50 headphones..
I game too but i realized durring my time with Xonar DX that the sound quality is worth upgrading because imersion and my music is more instrumental/ethereal etc and gaming gone on second place mostly single player campaigns, puzzle games...
There is another point why i switched to Asus cards and is the lack of Hardware layer from recent Windows os (vista and 7) and this saw the advantage of Creative going to null .I am not sure if alchemy will do all the tricks with old EAX games, but newer games are OpenAl compatible and not too much EAX..
I can say that Dolby Headphone from Asus IS awesome in games..........The immersion is fantastic in games where it's working like it should.Also music benefit from it too...
So in my calculations if EAX was kinda removed from newer games i don't see really a point to consider ONLY creative for games BUT if you put things in perspective you should still consider Creative in the first place..
First like the guys said getting a titanium HD will provide you with best quality for music and movies and you will see your music with different eyes and this worth a good deal and second you still have ALL the gaming options there latent if Microsoft will decide to include Hardware audio layer (return of true EAX) in future os'es like WIndows 8..
If you invest in sound card don't go under titanium HD .... This class 150-200$ of cards is awesome..

May 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

The T-HD (Titanium HD) has better support for gaming, but I really do not see a lot of Essence STX & ST owners complaining about gaming problems.
The T-HD has better support for EAX audio, but I do not believe it is used as much anymore in newer games.
I prefer using the Essence STX myself, I have used about 4 or 5 Creative cards in my past.
In general I've had better luck with non Creative sound card/drivers/software.

Audio quality wise the T-HD & Essence are about equal.

The Essence has better support for high Ohm headphones (250-Ohm to 600-Ohm range).
At 150-Ohms or less, I would guess they are about equal.

Roller is very Pro Creative Labs.
His opinion of non-creative cards can sometimes be very negative.

May 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Even the lowest Creative X-Fi Titanium refurbished is a better deal than the most expensive Asus card, simply due to the fact that gaming has always been an afterthought on such cards. The Asus Xonar Essence STX performs very much on the same level of a $5 onboard audio chip, simply due to the fact that most gaming audio features are exclusive to Creative, and for those to be available on other manufacturers, there are licensing costs that need to be paid.
The reason why brands like Auzentech have soundcards available with the full gaming audio feature set is because they have licensed the X-Fi DSP chip from Creative, which is what provides hardware acceleration for game audio renderers, improved positional cue processing due to the chip doing a rather heavy computational load in realtime, and having their proprietary algorithms that allow for a better sense of sound in the 3D space you're in when gaming.

Basically, you can get a $5000 card that will still perform poorly in games if it lacks the X-Fi DSP, that's just how things are.

Most opinions on drivers are more often than not outdated, going many years back. The Titanium HD drivers are up to date, as well as their several updates.

You're in no way being paranoid, that is a legitimate reason for concern, but in the specific product being discussed (along many others, but speaking of this for the sake of coherence) has very stable drivers, moreso than recent ones from previous generation hardware.

Quote:
The T-HD (Titanium HD) has better support for gaming, but I really do not see a lot of Essence STX & ST owners complaining about gaming problems.
The T-HD has better support for EAX audio, but I do not believe it is used as much anymore in newer games.
I prefer using the Essence STX myself, I have used about 4 or 5 Creative cards in my past.
In general I've had better luck with non Creative sound card/drivers/software.

Audio quality wise the T-HD & Essence are about equal.

The Essence has better support for high Ohm headphones (250-Ohm to 600-Ohm range).
At 150-Ohms or less, I would guess they are about equal.

Roller is very Pro Creative Labs.
His opinion of non-creative cards can sometimes be very negative.

Asus cards have little to no gaming audio features, that's a fact, not an opinion. You might want to read about what you want to talk before actually talking, as that won't make you look like a fool. No one buys Asus cards for gaming and for good reason, since they have the bare minimum features that are present on single digit entry chips.
And contrary to what some might think, EAX isn't tied to DirectSound3D (a very common misconception), and can be used through several general purpose audio renderers.
If you lack basic logic understanding (like deliberately trolling other threads in a flaming way, which was grounds for reporting), please remove yourself from the conversation. I've used enough cards from enough manufacturers to know what areas they excel in.

But feel free to continue to bash with unfounded opinions.

EDIT: At least you posted headphone driving info that's correct.

May 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #30 of 44
Quote:
If you lack basic logic understanding (like deliberately trolling other threads in a flaming way, which was grounds for reporting), please remove yourself from the conversation.

Please, report me.
And please do it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back