Sound Card recommendations for a Mac G5
Aug 16, 2005 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nice-biscuit

New Head-Fier
I am thinking of upgrading my sound card in my G5 has anyone got any suggestions? At some point I would like to add a decent dac to that as well. At the moment I am using a Total Bithead via USB and although I am happy with the sound feel that I could improove on this.

Aug 17, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for all the help. I will go for the DAC optical route. Any suggestions on DAC's around the $500 mark. It would be nice to go for the DAC1 but I would like to hear something first in this cost region. My only concern that the DAC is recognised by the G5 when connected. I am looking for a sound signature similar to an SM3 or AE-1 and Grado combo - good sound stage, natural sounding bass, good seperation in the mids.

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 10
Nice-biscuit I haven't heard the components you mentioned to know the signiture you're aiming for, but you could get a modified Scott Nixon (standard is coxial, optical is optional) or even his new USB DAC (suppose to be very similar in sound and price and may already be shipping - he said it would be a month ago, but haven't talked to him since). I asked around a few months back and the Nixon and Ack dAck were the two often repeated $500 suggestions. Both show up used (even cheaper) on Audiogon often.

Aug 18, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Nice-biscuit I haven't heard the components you mentioned to know the signiture you're aiming for, but you could get a modified Scott Nixon (standard is coxial, optical is optional) or even his new USB DAC (suppose to be very similar in sound and price and may already be shipping - he said it would be a month ago, but haven't talked to him since). I asked around a few months back and the Nixon and Ack dAck were the two often repeated $500 suggestions. Both show up used (even cheaper) on Audiogon often.

Checked the web sites and both the DAC's look good and seem to be what I am after. I am leaning more towards the Ack Dack as the battery option seems more flexible, especially here in the UK.

Aug 19, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 10
I believe a CI Audio VDA-1 plus VAC-1 puts you just at $500
biggrin.gif

I haven't been able to a/b mine with other DACs, but I'm very happy with it.

Aug 19, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 10
Yeah the CI Audio was on my list when I was looking around too.
wink.gif

Plus don't know how it sounds compared to the Bithead (or others mentioned), but the Burr-Brown DAC in the Squeezebox2 should also probably be considered.

Aug 19, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nice-biscuit
My only concern that the DAC is recognised by the G5 when connected.

What do you mean by recognised - as in "I can control it with OS X"? That will not work 100% with optical. Using optical on my iMac G5 disables the volume control for the system. You can still turn sound on/off, but no fine adjustments. Which makes sense, as you would tweak on the digital signal, and we want it bit perfect, don't we
wink.gif
You *can* use the volume control built into Quicktime & iTunes though. So if you have Sizzlingkeys (which everybody on OS X*should have, excellent little app, and its free!) you may keep things in control if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back