Sound Card Recommendation?
Nov 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xodaQo

New Head-Fier
Hi there.  I'm new to these forums.  I hope I put this thread in the correct section.

I'm building a gaming rig and haven't settled on a sound card.  (If anyone's interested I'll put the specs of this computer-to-be at the bottom of this post.  They're pretty nice.)

Anyway, I'd really, really like to get the Xonar Essence STX, but, alas, I don't have sufficient funds.  So I was wondering:  What is the best sound card I could get for under $120?  I will stray up towards the $150 mark if there's some superb product at that price point, but I would like to have some change left over for a better model of HD monitor.  I'm going to use this sound card for primarily gaming, but music and Blu-ray movies come in at a close second.

The sound card I've got my eye on at the moment is the Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series.  I'm just not sure if this is a suitable card for movies and music, though.  I have some Shure SE110's which have turned me into a fledgling audiophile without funds to properly fulfill my constant craving for better sound.

Thanks for all the help, and here are those computer specs you're all are probably craving. =D

Notable Specs
Intel Core i7-950
OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM (was 12GB until I realized I can easily upgrade my RAM later, CPU, GPU, sound card, or case, not so much)
ASUS P6X58D-E mobo
XFX Radeon 6870
Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 10k RPM (1TB 5400rpm storage HDD is also easily added later)
Samsung Blu-ray sexiness, of course
Antec Nine Hundred Two Case
moz-screenshot-1.png

moz-screenshot.png

...and the sound card which has not yet been chosen.

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 4
I don't think it typically gets the best reviews from audiophiles, but M Audio 192 has never let me down and seems to have great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back