Sound Card Recommendation For New Computer
Aug 9, 2006 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

antiant

Banned
i plan on building a computer and i just have a very simple question:

which sound card should i get? i have sennheiser hd555's and would like to use those via computer as source, i don't game at all, i only listen to my music, so if someone could give me a few options, i'd appreciate it...from what i've been reading on here...the xfi is a no since i don't game...also if it's of any importance i have the following speakers/sub Altec Lansing 2100 (2.1), i'd like to be able to use the speakers/sub and headphones interchangeably, say one day i want to listen to headphones and one day i just want speakers/sub (i may upgrade the speaker/sub down the road as well)...thanks for the help

edit: i'd also like to plug my headphones in directly to the i/o area

Aug 10, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 28
There're a lot of card to choose from.
I guess that is the reason you're asking here.

As always, the choice will depend on the purpose and budget.

About $30, Chaintech AV710 will be a good choice. It produces fairly good sound at cheap price. The card is little tricky tho, you will have great value if you choose this one. Search this forum, and see what people said.
About $100 or above, you may want to take a look at those sound cards from M-audio and Audiotrak. They have good reputation in terms of sound quality. Check out Juli@ from ESI. That card has quality digital output as well as analog output. If you can find sound card from onkyo, you may want to go for this too. Almost all cards above use VIA envy chipset.

I am not sure about switching back and foruth from speaker to headphone is possile for all soundcards. You can always directly plug your headphone into the output of sound card. However, most sound cards may not have enough power to drive headphone to its fullest, especially when your headphone is power hungry high ohm type. In this case, you may not able to get the best out of your headphone. That's why you need an headphone amp. Headphone amp is kinda thing that is always good to have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant
i plan on building a computer and i just have a very simple question:

which sound card should i get? i have sennheiser hd555's and would like to use those via computer as source, i don't game at all, i only listen to my music, so if someone could give me a few options, i'd appreciate it...from what i've been reading on here...the xfi is a no since i don't game...also if it's of any importance i have the following speakers/sub Altec Lansing 2100 (2.1), i'd like to be able to use the speakers/sub and headphones interchangeably, say one day i want to listen to headphones and one day i just want speakers/sub (i may upgrade the speaker/sub down the road as well)...thanks for the help

edit: i'd also like to plug my headphones in directly to the i/o area

Consider the EMU 0404 USB. Has a dedicated analog volume control for headphone, rca unbalanced, and balanced outs. You can get it for around $200. If you want a less expensive card, go with the 0404 PCI. It has more complicated drivers than the Juli@, and does not feaure a flip-card balanced/unbalanced mode, but offers a better DAC. The 0404 PCI also RMAA's better than the Juli@. Hope this helps.

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 28
The E-MU drivers are hell. The big upside to the Juli@ is it's digital out -- which is exactly as good as the Lynx Two, so it would be the best choice when you get an external DAC, which you eventually will.

Also just because a sound card has a better DAC on paper does not magicly give it better sound quality. It's how the DAC is implemented that really effects the sound quality.

Aug 10, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
The E-MU drivers are hell. The big upside to the Juli@ is it's digital out -- which is exactly as good as the Lynx Two, so it would be the best choice when you get an external DAC, which you eventually will.

Also just because a sound card has a better DAC on paper does not magicly give it better sound quality. It's how the DAC is implemented that really effects the sound quality.

Yes, I agree a good DAC does not make a good soundcard. Look at the Audigy4 as proof. However, like I said, the 0404 PCI fares better in RMAA tests than the Juli@. Qualitative sound quality is subjective, and my guess is maybe a handful of people have ever heard the 0404 PCI and Juli@ in the same setup.

Do you have a reference or link that shows the Juli@ digital out being equal to the Lynx Two?

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tschanrm
Yes, I agree a good DAC does not make a good soundcard. Look at the Audigy4 as proof. However, like I said, the 0404 PCI fares better in RMAA tests than the Juli@. Qualitative sound quality is subjective, and my guess is maybe a handful of people have ever heard the 0404 PCI and Juli@ in the same setup.

Do you have a reference or link that shows the Juli@ digital out being equal to the Lynx Two?

I have heard the Juli@ and 0404 in the same setup, in which I gives the 0404 an edge overall. The 0404 has better dynamics and details while Juli@ is smoother. That's for the analog output. On the other hand, ESI U24 beats them both.

I haven't got the chance to test the digital output quality for the Juli@ and 0404.

Aug 10, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tschanrm
Consider the EMU 0404 USB. Has a dedicated analog volume control for headphone, rca unbalanced, and balanced outs. You can get it for around $200. If you want a less expensive card, go with the 0404 PCI. It has more complicated drivers than the Juli@, and does not feaure a flip-card balanced/unbalanced mode, but offers a better DAC. The 0404 PCI also RMAA's better than the Juli@. Hope this helps.

Anyone had the chance to try the EMU 0404 USB? I’m quite interested.

Thanks

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 28
I have listened to Juli@ and 0404 side by side, the sound charateristic is just as mentioned by mikechai. So, this is just boil down to personal preference. My personal choice would be 0404 here.

As for the driver, so far it work fine for me (I'm using 1820m) and very much flexible. I do not see any hell out of it.
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003

Has anyone actually listened to both cards side by side, to confirm that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back