Sound card questions.
Jul 15, 2012 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

romeozdistress

Head-Fier
I currently have a HP p6774y desktop. I listen to alot of music on my computer. i have a set of logitech z623 2.1 speakers. I am currently using the mobo chipset. i was wondering if a sound card would improve sound while listening to music through my speakers? i have been looking at asus xonar dgx 5.1 and dsx 7.1. would either of these make a significant improvement in sound quality with music and movies? i dont game much at all. the chipset is a alc888. i also dont use headphones very often. this would be purely for music and movies. thanks in advance.

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 19
If you hear any sort of hissing or buzzing through the motherboard's analog audio outputs, then a sound card will make a very noticeable difference.

Since gaming isn't much of a priority, you have plenty of options between internal sound cards and external USB audio interfaces that can deliver the clean audio you're looking for.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 19
You have a very old realtek chip, getting any kind of a sound card will give you a huge improvement. 
Asus is a good line to look into it. Essence STX if you have good headphones or even with your speakers, it will be awesome. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 19
Soundcard will be a major improvement.
Whats your budget?

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 19
i was hoping around 50. im really considering the asus xonar dsx. but if its only good for headphones it might not be the right choice for me. i dont wanna spend alot but i also dont want to get something ill regret later. also keep in mind my power supply is only 250 W, so im not sure if there is limits on a psu like that. i could save up a bit more if need be. but if the dsx would work. thats be great. thanks alot for the help bro.

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 19
It'll be good for your speakers. Headphones maybe not.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #9 of 19
Your biggest upgrade is moving out of those z623s? Even more so for music 
L3000.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #10 of 19
thanks man. only use headphones for my zune. never for my pc.

as for new speakers, thats gonna have to wait a awhile until maybe tax time. thanks alot guys. i know nothing about soundcards. looks like newegg has a rebate on the sound card im looking at also. wish i could find some more reviews on it.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 19
Asus Xonar DG sound card is only $16 after $10 mail in rebate.
Very basic headphone amplifier, good for headphone up to 150-Ohm

A used Xonar DX or D1 sound card ($50) would have a better DAC.
But is only barely ok at driving headphones (DG/DGX headphone support is better)

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
So the Xonar DSX isn't a good choice. headphone support means nothing to me.

The Xonar DSX comes with DTS.
The Xonar DX/D1 comes with Dolby.
They both use the same C-Media CMI8788 audio processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back