Sound Card or Mixamp
Aug 30, 2013 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ketonic

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I'm loving the help I've been getting so far. I've settled on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 80s for music listening and probably gaming as well. I currently have the Astro a40 2013 system. I don't think my motherboard's sound card outputs Dolby Digital (MSI 970a-g46 if anybody wants to check). I want to have a good balance between positional accuracy and immersion as I play both FPS and single player games. One thing I do like about the Mixamp is the ability to change presets. 

Would I be better off keeping the Mixamp or selling it to get a Sound Card? I've looked at both the Creative and Asus ones and can't pick between the two. I'd like to spend < $100 on a sound card. Thanks!

Also, how bad are the AD700, HD598 and HD558 when it comes to immersion? I understand that they're very good for positional accuracy, but I've heard they lack bass, which seems like it would be bad for immersion. Thanks everyone!

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 6
If you're PC gaming primarily, then there's no need to keep around a console gaming device like the Mixamp. A sound card should have been your consideration.

But the presence of the whole A40 setup also implies you were gaming on consoles beforehand...are you sure you're willing to do without DH and chat mixing for consoles?

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
If you're PC gaming primarily, then there's no need to keep around a console gaming device like the Mixamp. A sound card should have been your consideration.

But the presence of the whole A40 setup also implies you were gaming on consoles beforehand...are you sure you're willing to do without DH and chat mixing for consoles?

Yes, I was on my Xbox before I built my PC a few weeks ago. If I get a sound card then I could use headphones and a clip-on mic correct? I'm really just interested if the Astro Mixamp is better or worse than a sound card.

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Sounds good. Thanks for the help! Would the Asus Xonar DG be a quality upgrade? Or do I need to spend a little more?

I would guess the Astro Mix-amp and Xonar DG are roughly equal sound quality wise,
and both come with Headphone Surround Sound.
(Xonar DG might(?) be better sounding quality wise).
Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $27.99 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.
So I would say to get the Xonar DG and sell off the Astro mix-amp.
Remember to disable (in the BIOS) the on-board audio when you install a internal sound card into your computer.

The Sound Blaster Z comes with a better DAC chip (CS4398) and cost $80 (new).
Might also be better for FPS gaming, then the DG.

The Audio Technica ATH-AD700s have a very light bass, which should make it easier to hear footsteps.
(buy some used ATH-AD700s off eBay)
Keep the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm around for movies and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back