Sound Card nessesary if I'm using Optical-Out to Headphones?
Apr 24, 2010 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mehdi

Head-Fier
I am planning to buy a Astro Mixamp with a pair of quality headphones of PC/Console gaming and watching movies. Movies would be watched either via bluray on the PS3 or x264 on my PC.

On the non-PC front, I am all set.

On the PC front I have an onboard audio chipset, the Realtek ALC889A. From what I gather, it's quality is very high for an onboard card and beats out older sound cards like the Audigy 2. The new X-Fi's are a different story, and I'm sure the brands of cards that folks on here recommend are also much better.

However, since I will be outputting my sound via optical-out to the Mix-Amp, should I really be concerned about a dedicated sound card?

Thanks

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Not really, especially if you're not planning on gaming from the PC a whole ton.

You should be set as is. Only upgrade if you have problems with it. Or have the classic infinite itch. <_<

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really, especially if you're not planning on gaming from the PC a whole ton.

You should be set as is. Only upgrade if you have problems with it. Or have the classic infinite itch. <_<

I actually game a lot on the PC. Battlefield 2, Starcraft 2, etc. However, even then I imagine the perks of having EAX 5.0 and the like may not be worth the immediate investment given that it only fits 1 of 5 of my 'sound' priorities.

On another note though, while CMSS-3D is supported by a bunch of sound cards; is there anything similar for Realtek's onboard chipset? Unfortunately, even though my chipset got support for the "X-Fi MB Kit" like 2 years ago, it lost support in Windows 7
frown.gif
Realtek does have a 'virtual sound' function though which isn't particularly impressive.

P.S. The infinite itch is what I was scared of when I first signed up for the site!
redface.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehdi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually game a lot on the PC. Battlefield 2, Starcraft 2, etc. However, even then I imagine the perks of having EAX 5.0 and the like may not be worth the immediate investment given that it only fits 1 of 5 of my 'sound' priorities.

On another note though, while CMSS-3D is supported by a bunch of sound cards; is there anything similar for Realtek's onboard chipset? Unfortunately, even though my chipset got support for the "X-Fi MB Kit" like 2 years ago, it lost support in Windows 7
frown.gif
Realtek does have a 'virtual sound' function though which isn't particularly impressive.

P.S. The infinite itch is what I was scared of when I first signed up for the site!
redface.gif

If you WANT to add the few perks you'd gain, including some mediocre performance increases, you can look into the Auzentech Forte. It's pretty much the top. It's not a bad price, especially if you can find a refurb or something like that.

There's a few Realtek chipsets that support Dolby Headphone, and the likes... But, I don't think there's really any way to support that in games easily. Just hit up the latest drivers, and see if there's anything nifty in the options.

The difference, not including EAX/DSP effects, you'd find a cleaner sound, but that's about the only difference. If you find you're hearing a lot of static with your onboard optical out, it might be worth checking it out.

May 2, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 8
im in the exact same situation. it seems for gaming there is not a big improvement if there is a dedicated sound card.

but how about for music and gaming? if there is a dedicated soundcard+mixamp+headphones, would that help the quality in music and movies?

thanks

May 2, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhL17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im in the exact same situation. it seems for gaming there is not a big improvement if there is a dedicated sound card.

but how about for music and gaming? if there is a dedicated soundcard+mixamp+headphones, would that help the quality in music and movies?

thanks

You found this thread, and posted in it, but didn't look at the answers it already contained?

If you want the few advantages a gaming card will give you, get an Auzentech Forte. For music, the Forte would give you slightly cleaner sound, but you should only upgrade if you find you have problems. (IE: Static/Distortion)

May 2, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You found this thread, and posted in it, but didn't look at the answers it already contained?

If you want the few advantages a gaming card will give you, get an Auzentech Forte. For music, the Forte would give you slightly cleaner sound, but you should only upgrade if you find you have problems. (IE: Static/Distortion)

thanks for the answer. i misread some of the things lol.

if I changed to another card, would the changes be "slight" as with forte, or much more compared to onboard.

May 2, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhL17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the answer. i misread some of the things lol.

if I changed to another card, would the changes be "slight" as with forte, or much more compared to onboard.

Going from an onboard optical to the Forte optical would offer you barely any quality increase. If you want to make a difference musically, I'd recommend getting an M2Tech Hiface (Coaxial RCA ver). Even then, the improvement would be limited.

If you want things to sound better, get a better set of heaphones, then a better DAC, THEN a better transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back