Sound Card Help
Sep 12, 2004 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Hardman

New Head-Fier
Need help selecting a new audio card for my PC. My goal is two fold…

First, want to use my PC as a transport, so I need a good digital out to run to dedicated external DAC (not yet purchased opened to suggestions) or existing home theater processor. From what I have been able to gather on this site, the Chaintech, or an E-MU would meet this requirement quite nicely.

Onto the second request, I also like to build speakers and am ready to take this hobby to the next level. I plan to purchase Sounds Easy (speaker design software) and will need a good sound card (with multiple analog outputs) to measure and simulate crossovers for the various drivers. The vendor suggest the now discontinued M-Audio Delta 410 or one of the Echo Digital Audio pieces, like the Gina3G http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/PCI/Gina3G/index.php . I found the Delta for under $90 (limited supplies exist), while the Gina is well over $300. While the software site does not call out compatibility to the E-MU products, I suspect it would work too.

So of the various options (Delta, Gina, Chaintech, or E-MU) which would have the best digital out and still fit my second requirement (less the Chaintech)? Another option not mentioned yet, that would still work with the above software, would be to purchase a pro digital crossover (like the Behringer DCX2496). However, I would still need analog inputs for measuring and don’t know the quality of the analog inputs of these cards.

First post, so go easy…. Thanks!

BTW... anyone here using a Monarchy DIP between their computer’s digital out and dedicated dac? Don’t know if it is even needed or not, but curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back