Sound card help
Mar 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

chug

New Head-Fier
In need of a sound card and struggling with all the information (usually in 200page threads)

I'll be mostly listening to flacs and watching films with a touch of gaming thrown in. The setup is mid range. Teac Reference A-H500i amp, B&W DM602 speakers for the front. Teac Reference AV-H500D (multi channel analogue in) and Mission center/surrounds. Using both to achieve 7.1. I do listen to headphones sometimes at night and would rather not have to use the Teac, the headphones are least of the priorities to be honest.

Now my main issue here is I need it to be PCIE. I picked up an Auzen HTHD with an opamp upgrade (OPA627SM) and my gripe is the pissy analogues out. Doesn't sound too bad but I'd rather something a bit better if possible mainly with proper RCA's.

I was looking at the Essence STX untill I read a few mixed reviews, but the killer was the add on card is ST only. People on here pointed towards the Prodigy HD2 which looked good except it isn't pcie. Stumbled across a modified one (how industrial does that look?! 2nd in google images) Also came across the Onkyo which again very nice except its pci, noticed their pcie version (over budget anyway) and no one seems to like it.

I read using a pci/pcie bridge adapter isn't ideal? Can anyone explain?

I've read alot, and it seemed unfortunate the only options seemed Creative/Asus/Auzen so it was nice to stumble across the Audiotrack and Onkyo.

Now if I'm playing back files with a DTS soundtrack or similar for example do I need a card that'll support it, or is that software only? I see the HDAV1.3 has the bluray audio formats for example, but only through the software supplied.

I suppose I only need the surround for films/games so a compromise could be a seperate DAC for music? Would feeding it from the Auzens coaxial out be better than feeding it from the motherboards digital? Could be a pain switching audio outputs all the time.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 2
You could get a Xonar DGX sound card for $40 and then connect an external optical DAC/amp to it. Using optical out, you would still be using the gaming support on the DGX. It also has Dolby Headphone for creating more of a surround experience.

Sorry. I don't know anything about DTS support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back