sound card help
Apr 6, 2009 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

freakydrew

500+ Head-Fier
I recently entered the world of Head Fi and just picked up my headphones (Senns HD555 and ATH-AD700), I thought I had a decent sound card as my Dell is less than a month old, it is the Realtek High Def Integrated 7.1. Fellow head fi'ers have said this is no good, so am looking to upgrade.

Anyone have experience with:
Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe HDMI 1.3 Audio/Video Enhancement with 7.1 Channel Analog Output

ot this:

Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone Amp card for Audiophiles

Can I use both? is there a need? I watch a lot of blu-ray movies which is what draws me to the first item, but the second one seems best for headphone and music....

help.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please?

Probably should wait a little longer than 3hours for a response. That being said, I can't really help you. I CAN tell you what to avoid though. Creative sound cards. They might work ok but the company doesn't really support the card after its been produced. They are known (from what I've read and experianced myself) for horrible customer support and sparse driver updates. I have an Xfi extreme audio and I'm happy with it. But lack of drivers for operating systems other than xp and vista are disappointing. And its not really an Xfi card... Relabeled audigy from what I gather. Deceptive advertising, I think. Somebody else could chime in as to what would satisfy your needs better than I ever could though.

REMEMBER, the above was my opinion... not fact. Take it with a grain of salt, as you should any post in an online thread
icon10.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 13
when you say, "i watch a lot of bluray movies," is that to say that you have a bluray player in your computer, which is then connected to your home theater?

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

I recently entered the world of Head Fi and just picked up my headphones (Senns HD555 and ATH-AD700), I thought I had a decent sound card as my Dell is less than a month old, it is the Realtek High Def Integrated 7.1. Fellow head fi'ers have said this is no good, so am looking to upgrade.

Anyone have experience with:
Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe HDMI 1.3 Audio/Video Enhancement with 7.1 Channel Analog Output

ot this:

Asus Xonar Essence STX 124 dB SNR / Headphone Amp card for Audiophiles

Can I use both? is there a need? I watch a lot of blu-ray movies which is what draws me to the first item, but the second one seems best for headphone and music....

help.

I currently own and have used both sound cards simultaneously in the same PC and they do both run quite happily together, at least under WinXP.

STX is superior to the HDAV for 2-channel (stereo) analog audio. And it seems that you don't have a external headphone amp so you'll definitely benefit even further from the STX's HP-out.

OTOH the HDAV Deluxe does support 7.1 analog audio output and supports uncompressed audio formats (like DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD) over HDMI, so if you're planning to hook up a 5.1/7.1 speaker system or A/V receiver as well as headphones you have the HDAV will be a benefit to you in that regard.

But then, the Essence Xonar ST (a PCI version of the STX) is coming out soon which will support 7.1 analog audio as well (though it has no HDMI ports and no video enhancement) so if you need more than 2-channel analog you could wait for it to be released as well.

I also haven't tried out the colour/image enhancement capabilities tf the HDAV so I can't comment on if/how much that'll improve video quality.

I guess the choice of which card to buy depends a lot on what components you'll be hooking up to it.

Apr 7, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 13
To note, the HDAV 1.3 Deluxe also supports all those audio formats such as Dolby True HD, DTS-HDMA..etc through analog also, not just a HDMI digital connection...With no downsampling.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 13
since I primarily watch blu-rays on my PC, and my monitor has an hdmi out, I am almost better to get the Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe HDMI 1.3 Audio/Video Enhancement with 7.1 Channel Analog Output, unless the upgrade to the STX would have HDMI?
I believe the HDAV 1.3 also supports Dolby Headphone?
thanks again.

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 13
all of Asus' cards support Dolby Headphone, so no worries there

wrt the HDMI question, your monitor has HDMI "out", or HDMI "in", there is a distinctive difference (and I've yet to encounter a PC monitor with ANY video output, especially HDMI)

I agree with Alydon: what are you hooking up to this? (you need a solid answer, at least for yourself, or else you may very well end up buying nothing, or buying something loaded with features for "what if" support
wink.gif
)

as far as krosenqu's comments regarding Creative, I disagree, their customer service is about average (honestly, as someone who's dealt with MANY levels of VARIOUS types of customer service both in a professional and personal fashion, I'm telling you, FAR worse exists, and "far better" is quite subjective (imho only one or two companies have ever really given, imho, "good" customer service to me)), and their product quality is more than satisfactory

driver updates don't need to happen weekly, if it works, don't screw with it (and anyone who thinks otherwise likely has never worked with software for a living, if your features are working, and you have no compatability issues or major problems, LEAVE IT BE, lest you create some of those problems), not to mention that Creative does offer driver updates as required (i.e: if a feature is broken, they generally work to resolve it on their time table, which is apparently not "good enough" for many users, but what are you gonna do?), and overall makes a solid product imho

for a pure stereo or multi-ch source, I'd have no issues suggesting them alongside Asus or one of the smaller companies (namely Auzen and HT Omega)

now as far as "I need to upgrade because some head-fi'er said I have bad equipment", thats pretty silly imho, would you trash your car and buy a new one purely because it isn't as good as mine? would you sell your house and buy a new one, purely because mine is bigger? (I've sadly seen people do the later quite often, or at least suggest it quite seriously to others)

as far as "could I get both", I would have to ask, why in the hell would you spend nearly $500 on audio cards for less than $250 of headphones? (seriously, you should stop and evaluate this spending from a logical perspective) also, why would you deal with the hastle of having both installed constantly? (and somewhat more importantly, does your computer even have enough expansion slots for it?)

honestly I would take the HDAV if Blu-ray and HD audio is "big" for you (assuming you're using an internal drive on the computer to watch the movies), otherwise, I'd save my money and go with something like the X-Fi Forte or HT Omega Claro Halo (what a mouthful, sheesh), if you simply need a stereo or multi-ch source for your headphones/speakers

Apr 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

since I primarily watch blu-rays on my PC, and my monitor has an hdmi out, I am almost better to get the Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe HDMI 1.3 Audio/Video Enhancement with 7.1 Channel Analog Output, unless the upgrade to the STX would have HDMI?
I believe the HDAV 1.3 also supports Dolby Headphone?
thanks again.

Given your HDMI/Blu-rays needs and wants you should go with the HDAV 1.3 Deluxe. You could always grab a headphone amplfiier in the future if you ned one.
The outputs on the HDAV 1.3 are very high quality and the HDAV 1.3 offers the best analog surround sound according to the specs and measurments out of any
production Xonar with the STX taking the crown for 2.0.

Yes, the card supports DH, I have one sitting here and used and tested it out for quite awhile it is a great card for the price and has a boatload of features.
The card offers high resolution audio standards for your blusrays media over both HDMI digital conenction or full resolution analog. -Big plus for those without a HDMI compatible receiver for connection. You can also upgrade the opamps to improve or change the sound more to yoru liking. The HDAV 1.3 is avialable as just a base card or the deluxe version featuring the H6 DAC expansion board that allows the card to support full 7.1 analog.

I suggest going for the Deluxe model as it give you more output options as you never know what you might need inthe future for I/O/

Another option is: The Auzen Home Theater HD 7.1 should be out very soon also so that might also be a options for you depending on your sencondary needs and wats for a soundcard. The HTHD has all the features of the Prelude for gaming and other features but also will suport HDMI A/V along with full resolution analog output for the higher resolution formats.

Good luck on your gear hunt.

Apr 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 13
I appreciate all the help. I have the following monitor:
Dell : Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand : Monitors : Home & Home Office
my PC is the Dell Studio 435 with new Intel Core 17-940 cpu. ATI Radeon I can't remember model number, not the best, but a decent mid-range. I cheaped out on the sound card and just got the integrated 7.1 (Realtek), I can plug an HDMI cable into my monitor, but need an HMDI dongle to attach to my video card on the computer.
The software for Blu-ray viewing is Cyberlink PowerDVD, which is a disappointment. I have the Logitech z5500, but because I can not play HDMI on it, I cannot use the optical connection properly.
I believe the HDAV Delux comes with software to watch blu-rays?
The z5500 so far does a decent job with both headphones I recently purchased, better than the headphone jack on the tower anyway. Of course, being a noob to good headphones, they may actually sound a lot better with a better sound card and amp.
My pc will effectively become my blu ray viewer for now. My regular tv is an older LG crt, with the LG surround sound satellite system, which is fairly decent, it has a dvd/vcr combo...the dvd player stopped working awhile ago so I watch dvd's through my PS2 and optical connection so the sound is quite good. I am saving up for a decent flat screen and real speakers (not satellites) and then will use my pc to connect to the flat screen to watch blue rays!
thanks for everyone's input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back