Sound Card Help
Jan 14, 2008 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tusk

Head-Fier
I have been reading for a few weeks here, and I need some help. I Have a Keyboard, Alesis 8HD, that I would like to run through my computer, rather than the $25 squier I have on the floor. It has main R + L outputs, S/PDIF, and MIDI outputs. It also has a USB 2.0 connectivity. I have only one cable that I use on the R output. (what type of cable is that btw?)
What I would like to do is run the Keyboard's sound through my PC and then if I wanted to, record it.
I want to listen to music through this alot. I use foobar w/ASIO for my music. And I play a lot of computer games as well.
I would rather that the card have a front panel so that it would be easier to plug in my headphones and keyboard, but that's not necessary.
I need to be able to hear my piano and music at the same time, so I can play along with songs.

Right now I have a creative Audigy 2 -> Logitech Z4, or else I use my Audigy 2 -> Sennheiser 280pro, but I am looking to sell my Audigy 2 to help pay for this new card. Plus I don't think that the onboard is much worse, if at all.

So they all use just the output that most computer speakers use, but if I were to upgrade to studio speakers (I was thinking of getting some M-Audio ones) would I need a different type of output? I want this sound card to work for my logitech speakers, my headphones, and studio speakers as well.

Budget is around $100. Flexible.

Other maybe related questions.
Would it be better to get a DAC? Can a DAC do all that I want? Is PCI or USB a better way to go? Can I get a DAC w/ Amp included? Will that power my speakers as well?

And since I don't know where to get things please provide links to the things you suggest.

I was thinking of the Juli@. Someone recommended it earlier, but I can't seem to find where to get it now.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 5
Ok. I decided that a card outside of the PC is the way to go for me. I was looking at the E-mu 0404 USB, since it is so highly ranked here. Any other opinions?

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 5
I think an external dac is best unless you are a gamer, and even so you can use your onboard sound for that. If it helps you stay within your budget you could look at the EMU 0202. Also look on E-Bay for a USB Dac's. Another place to look for Dac's is Pacific Valve. Usb would be the best way to go unless you have a specific need for coax or optical eg: (attaching a cd player to the dac instead of the computer).

Pacific Valve DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back