Sound Card Help-SB16 ISA & Win2K
Apr 19, 2003 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ArChaos

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Guys
I recently formatted the HD on one of my older computers (PIII-667, Asus CUV4X MoBo, ATI-Rage128Pro, Conexant Modem) and I did a fresh install of Win2k PRO (instead of the old sucky WinME). Everything works fine except I can't get my old sound card - Sound blaster 16 *ISA slot*, model CT 4170 - to work with Win2k.
The card is OK (I checked it on other comp. AND the funny thing is it plays CDs on this computer also (through the Win2k-Sp3 WMD-CDplayer and through Winamp too). I am almost sure that's a driver problem so I went through the web searching for appropriate drivers (of course only AFTER I tried the original drivers supplied with the card-they were NOT intended for WIN2k, but anyway... and the win2k driver for sb16 which automatically loaded with the windows install and neither of them worked...). I've looked into all the sites and PC forums I know(incl. sound-drivers.com, creative's site, driver.com and others...) put searches on Google and so on and up to now I couldn't find a solution... what I came out with is that: 1)as absurd as it looks - Creative DID NOT put out a driver for this card and win2k. 2)I'm not the only one having this problem - win2K in not to friendly with ISA cards. 3)On the other hand, through my searches I found people who had exactly the opposite problem - their SB16 ISA did work with Win2k and did not work with WinME...
Of course I could say - screw it and go buy a new PCI sound card who has native Win2K drivers, but it just pisses me of to know for sure there is a solution somewhere out there and I just can't find it...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Apr 19, 2003 at 11:07 AM Post #2 of 11
The first thing to check is what IRQ is the card trying to use?
Go to device manager and see what W2K is reporting.
If its something other than 5, that is your problem.

Apr 20, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
The first thing to check is what IRQ is the card trying to use?
Go to device manager and see what W2K is reporting.
If its something other than 5, that is your problem.

Hi bootman,
Thanks a lot. I checked up and it was using IRQ -7... so I changed it to 5 but still no sound(after rebooting, of course) DMAs are 00 and 01.
There is a weak hiss coming out the speakers but no music with Winamp and no standard Windows sounds when I try them. The WDM CD-player and Winamp still play the CDs from the computer's CD PLAYER. Trying to use Winamp with MP3 files on the computer stucks the program (yet possible shuting it down through control-alt-del + task manager) ... Any other ideas?

Apr 20, 2003 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 11
Can you see if anything else is using IRQ 5?
The DMA should be 01.

What other cards are in the PC?
You might even have to go in the BIOS and reserve IRQ5.

ISA cards are a real pain with W2K and XP.

frown.gif

Apr 20, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 11
ArChaos,

You are right, there is a solution. I had that problem (PIII) and after a lot of searching I found the driver in USERGUIDE.com.
I'll try to relocate it for you (it's size is about 4mb).

Apr 20, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 11
Bootman, Robo7 - Thanks a lot.
biggrin.gif

Bootman - your PM mailbox is full.
Robo7 - How do you search the Userguide.com for sound-drivers(except their obvious web *search* box) I've been there now, but no luck...
confused.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 11
I cleared up my mailbox.

I also found the soundblaster w2k driver.
PM me your email address and I'll email it to you.
Let us know how you make out with that driver.

Apr 21, 2003 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 11
Wallijonn,Bootman - Thanks a lot, guys...
biggrin.gif

What also really pisses me off is that my specific soundcard model - CT4170 apears in the Hardwarwe Compatibility List at Microsoft's site as FULLY COMPATIBLE with Win2k (among many other SB16 ISA cards) which means, if I'm not completely stupid, that at least they checked it and it works with Win2k (if not that they also have a driver for it ???)

Wallijonn-The link points me to a *Windows98* .vxd driver file (how do I install a .vxd file anyway? just put it in some/which windows system directory? after uninstalling the existing driver or not?...
confused.gif
... Anyway, I've already been at drivers.com/sound-drivers site and tried all the drivers that seemed to have a chance of working with Win2kbut to no result... (by the way,for anybody interested, the login is *driver*and the password is *all*...) Thanks anyway, I'll try my luck first with Bootman's driver and if not, you could explain more on this one... Anyway, your mail helped because all my searches on Google were STRING searches and in your search you put the word *AND*- this lighted a bulb for me...
wink.gif

Bootman- I'll check your driver and keep you informed on the results.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 11
After you get the driver installed check these setting again in device manager.

IRQ 5 (the isa card should have this IRQ exclusively)
DMA 1
(If a second DMA setting is available ie 16bit)
DMA 5
Port 220
midi 330
Synth (if available) 388

These are the tried and tested classic SB settings.

Good luck.

Also, have you gone into your BIOS?
Make sure Plug and play OS is checked to OFF.
(That way W2K won't go randomly changing IRQs on you.
While you are in there see if you can reserve IRQ 5 for your ISA
By pre-selecting different IRQs for your other PCI devices)

Apr 22, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Hi Bootman
No luck - the driver you sent, although being Win2k SB16 driver, it is for PCI cards and not ISA... I tried it twice after unistalling the Windows WDM driver and changing the settings as you adviced - except the holly BIOS which I'm afraid to mess with (well, you know, I'm not in the computer business at all and at my age all I know is "self-education", so there is a limit to what I can do by myself in this area
redface.gif
)
Anyway, THANKS A LOT!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
for the help... I still don't raise hands and perhaps I'll try some more fore the hack of it - it's not much money to buy a new cheap card anyway, so that's no big deal in case I don't make it... I'll keep you informed if I get any luck... All the best to you all.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back