Sound Card Help (New to Sound cards)
Jun 27, 2013 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NosRokanaske

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am new to what to look for in sound cards and i have a feeling that I'm going to need to get one as i just bought a DT990 Pro 250 Ohm. Right now i have the Recon3D USB which im hoping will drive it, but it is very unlikely to happen. Which sound cards do you recommend for under $60. I know $60 won't get me much but i am on a really tight budget at the moment. Right now i am looking at the ASUS Xonar DG, DGX, and DSX. I'm not really into competitive gaming but i do like some surround emulation. I mainly picked those cards because they are cheap and based off other forums will drive my headphones fairly well. I do have a question about those and it is i know that each says they support 5.1 and 7.1 for the DSX, but does anyone know if they support virtual 7.1 surround? 

Thanks in advance.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hello,

I am new to what to look for in sound cards and i have a feeling that I'm going to need to get one as i just bought a DT990 Pro 250 Ohm. Right now i have the Recon3D USB which im hoping will drive it, but it is very unlikely to happen. Which sound cards do you recommend for under $60. I know $60 won't get me much but i am on a really tight budget at the moment. Right now i am looking at the ASUS Xonar DG, DGX, and DSX. I'm not really into competitive gaming but i do like some surround emulation. I mainly picked those cards because they are cheap and based off other forums will drive my headphones fairly well. I do have a question about those and it is i know that each says they support 5.1 and 7.1 for the DSX, but does anyone know if they support virtual 7.1 surround? 

Thanks in advance.

The DSX does not have a headphone amplifier, the DG & DGX do come with a headphone amplifier.

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 6
I recently bought the DGX as it was affordable, had the headphone amp, and was well reviewed.  It definitely makes a difference with my headphones (Sennheiser HD 595), and I can confirm that it does do up to virtual 7.1 surround.  It does a fairly good job in my opinion, but as I have never used another sound card before (or even an external amp or DAC), I can't comment on its relative quality.

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies. Looks like i'm not going to get the DSX. The question is between the the Xonar DG and DGX. Is there any difference between the amps on the DG and DGX? I read that the DGX use the same amps as the DG, if thats the case i think i might grab the Xonar DG for budget purposes.

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Looks like i'm not going to get the DSX. The question is between the the Xonar DG and DGX. Is there any difference between the amps on the DG and DGX? I read that the DGX use the same amps as the DG, if thats the case i think i might grab the Xonar DG for budget purposes.

Really the same card, except one is PCI and other is PCI-E.
So get the cheaper DG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back