Sound Card Headphone Amplifier vs Standalone amp
Aug 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

loonychune

New Head-Fier
Hi

I've recently purchased the AKG 702s and I'm extremely impressed (previous headphones were the HD598 and the AKG271).

My headphones are plugged into the dedicated headphone amp output on my Creative Recon 3D sound card (http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Recon3D-SB1350/dp/B00654PUPA). The listening volume is fine (I was worried the audio would be really quiet) but still the music feels a little distant at times.

I'm curious to know if a dedicated amp such as the Matrix M-Stage of LIttle Dot III (keeping the sound card as the source) will sound better... there aren't too many places I can go to try this out so would appreciate any suggestions as to what the differences are between a relatively cheap card headphone amplifier and something like the M-Stage.

Budget is £200 / $300. I've also considering picking up the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card which has a built-in amp but this may well end up just being the source if I do pick the amp up as well. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 7
I would think just replacing the Recon3D with the new Z series ($80) would improve headphone audio quality.
The Recon3D and Z series use the same audio processor, but the Z comes with an add-on CS4398 DAC chip.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 7
Upgrading my card is definitely an option, not sure about the Z series as I'd be replacing a $70 card with an $80 card; i'm more inclined to go with the the Essence ST. 

Either way I suppose what I'm getting at is, what's the difference in quality been the headphone amp on a good sound card vs using the sound card as the DAC and buying a dedicated amp such as the M-Stage? 

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Upgrading my card is definitely an option, not sure about the Z series as I'd be replacing a $70 card with an $80 card; i'm more inclined to go with the the Essence ST. 

Either way I suppose what I'm getting at is, what's the difference in quality been the headphone amp on a good sound card vs using the sound card as the DAC and buying a dedicated amp such as the M-Stage? 

JMHO, but a sound card output is an iffy pairing with a K701/2.  Those headphones are among the hardest to amplify.  They're relatively low-impedance, so not much voltage is needed, but that's misleading.  They want lots of current and an amp that can successfully control and provide adequate current pulse.  A solid-state or tube hybrid amplifier heavily biased into Class A is the best solution  Typically, such an amp will come with MOSFETs on the output that are adequately heat-sinked.  There are many DIY versions of amps that have this feature and include the M3, B22, MOSFET-MAX, O2, EHHA (yes, I sell parts for one in that list).  Commercially, the Apex Peak or Schiit Asgard fits the requirement.  I'm sure there are others.

There are many threads that talk about this, though - just use the search tool in the headphone or amplifier section. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Upgrading my card is definitely an option, not sure about the Z series as I'd be replacing a $70 card with an $80 card; I'm more inclined to go with the the Essence ST. 

I do like my Essence STX (cheaper then ST), works fine with all my headphones.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I do like my Essence STX (cheaper then ST), works fine with all my headphones.

Agreeing with the above. The move to something dedicated over the current sound card flagships would have diminishing returns. I've only seen one comparison made (citation needed): STX about quivalent to a Schiit Asgard.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Agreeing with the above. The move to something dedicated over the current sound card flagships would have diminishing returns. I've only seen one comparison made (citation needed): STX about quivalent to a Schiit Asgard.

So Schiit is in business to sell Asgards for no reason?  Seriously, there's a difference between "works fine with all my headphones" and "yes, a dedicated amplifier will ensure that the headphone uses all its capability."

I'm not trying to sell Asgards ... maybe there isn't much difference, but I seriously doubt it.  If anything, the lack of difference is showing the shortcomings of the sound card (not much more there to amplify in terms of details and dynamics).

It gets old citing this link, but here it is - read it first:
http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana

Users who are viewing this thread

Back