Sound card for virtual surround headphone?
Feb 10, 2016 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Head-Fier
After a lot of research I am considering getting a E10K dac/amp for my pc rather than an internal sound card. For virtual surround I think this limits me to Razer Surround but I think I am okay with that. It's mostly for gaming and movies.

Is there any reason why this isn't a good idea? Any reason why a sound card would be better?

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 44
After a lot of research I am considering getting a E10K dac/amp for my pc rather than an internal sound card. For virtual surround I think this limits me to Razer Surround but I think I am okay with that. It's mostly for gaming and movies.

Is there any reason why this isn't a good idea? Any reason why a sound card would be better?

Virtual surround is all software. You dont need a dedicated soundcard to do surround processing. 

As for getting a E10K, its one of the best for its price.

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 44
What about Out of Your Head,  Isone Pro Surround, Panorama 5, or (if you want a hardware based solution) HeaDSPeaker?  All of these provide virtual surround.  I've never used Razer surround, but I have used these other products and they all work well.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 44
  What about Out of Your Head,  Isone Pro Surround, Panorama 5, or (if you want a hardware based solution) HeaDSPeaker?  All of these provide virtual surround.  I've never used Razer surround, but I have used these other products and they all work well.

Yeah , why not try them?

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 44
Actually only the basic version of Razer Surround is free. Out of Your Head is way too pricey for me though. I'll try the demo just to see how it compares but that's around £100 which for that is just too much for me.

Isone Pro looks interesting though and only 19.99 Euros so about £15. I'll definitely try that one for comparison. It seems to have been renamed to TB Isone as far as I can tell.Just to check, is it this one

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/

Panaroma 5 again is too expensive for me (and looks a bit complicated) but it is good to know that Razer wasn't my only option.

You've all been really helpful and put my mind at rest that getting a E10K rather than a soundcard is a good option. Thanks.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 44
Bere I finalise a purchase of the E10K could I please just ask:

1. How would I use the TB IsOne for gaming? I haven't tried the demo yet as I'm not at my PC but from what I have read, it is just a VST plugin (whatever that is). Razer sets up a virtual sound card in your playback devices list and you just set that to default and job done. But this just seems to be a plugin for a music app so I don't see how that would work.

2. Are there any things a sound card can do that the E10K can't? I need to be sure I am not missing anything if I go the external DAC route.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 44
  Bere I finalise a purchase of the E10K could I please just ask:

1. How would I use the TB IsOne for gaming? I haven't tried the demo yet as I'm not at my PC but from what I have read, it is just a VST plugin (whatever that is). Razer sets up a virtual sound card in your playback devices list and you just set that to default and job done. But this just seems to be a plugin for a music app so I don't see how that would work.

2. Are there any things a sound card can do that the E10K can't? I need to be sure I am not missing anything if I go the external DAC route.

1. Im not sure , ive never used it before , ask the suggester

2.Depends on brand, some brands have free software of some sort. Nothing much to lose anyways.

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 44
Yes sorry point 1 was aimed @phoenixdogfan.

I've read a bit more now and setting up VST plugins on a Windows playback device is too much hassle for me. It involves using Virtual Audio Cable and VSTHost and too much messing around for me. I'll just make do with Razer Surround.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 44
I've read a bit more now and setting up VST plugins on a Windows playback device is too much hassle for me. It involves using Virtual Audio Cable and VSTHost and too much messing around for me. I'll just make do with Razer Surround.

Fancy stuff is useless if you dont even know how to use it eh? Just like overcomplicated apps like photoshop which has a long learning curve to fully utilize.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 44
I'm actually leaning towards the E07K now as the line in and 2 headphone outs could come in handy. There is also the E17K but that's pushing the budget a bit too far.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 44
I'm actually leaning towards the E07K now as the line in and 2 headphone outs could come in handy. There is also the E17K but that's pushing the budget a bit too far.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

@seanwee had it right in the first reply to this thread.  If your sole use is at a desktop, I would get the E10K (it should also have a better amp stage than the E07K).  The main reason I would get the E10K is that it entirely USB powered and will not fail on you due to a dead battery in X years.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 44
Surely the E07K can also be powered solely by USB even after the battery has failed? Obviously if it can't then that's a deal breaker. I once had a laptop that would not power via the mains once the battery failed but that was a long time ago.

Also, I like the idea of being able to pair it with my Samsung Galaxy S4 via an OTG cable. I have read some people having problems getting the S4 working with the E17K but people having more success with the E07K.

Yes, this did start out as a quest to find a product solely for my PC but if for only a little more money I can get something that is far more flexible then it seems the better decision.

My only remaining issue with going the external DAC route is that I have now found a thread on Head-Fi on the Razer Surround software which is not very positive. If I go the external route then Razer is my only (viable) option and many seem to say it is vastly inferior to Dolby Headphone. Anyway I'm in no rush so plenty of time to decide.

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #15 of 44
Surely the E07K can also be powered solely by USB even after the battery has failed? Obviously if it can't then that's a deal breaker. I once had a laptop that would not power via the mains once the battery failed but that was a long time ago.

Also, I like the idea of being able to pair it with my Samsung Galaxy S4 via an OTG cable. I have read some people having problems getting the S4 working with the E17K but people having more success with the E07K.

Yes, this did start out as a quest to find a product solely for my PC but if for only a little more money I can get something that is far more flexible then it seems the better decision.

My only remaining issue with going the external DAC route is that I have now found a thread on Head-Fi on the Razer Surround software which is not very positive. If I go the external route then Razer is my only (viable) option and many seem to say it is vastly inferior to Dolby Headphone. Anyway I'm in no rush so plenty of time to decide.

I don't know about the E07K in particular so hopefully someone who has experience can reply.  I did however recently reply to this guy whose FiiO product (X3) wouldn't turn on when the battery was "fully charged".  I'm just sick of things with irreplaceable batteries becoming paperweights, YMMV. 
smile.gif

Hopefully you'll update us when you have some impressions on whatever you decide to go for.  Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back