Sound card for Superlux HD 668B- primarily for gaming
Aug 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kron

New Head-Fier
I need a sound card for gaming.
I play BF3 and will probably play BF4. From what I read on this and other forums Superlux HD 668B is one of the best headphones for gaming and thats even better  than AD700 (or the differences are minimal).
Which soundcard for these headphones? I was thinking about Xonar DX, but then read somewhere that for those who will use headphones, heeadphone amplifier is a must have. Which brought me to Xonar DG, which is cheaper, has probably lower quality sound but does have an amplifier.
I do not listen heavy base music etc so dont think about in that direction, I really just need a game card for a good 3d directional accuracy nothing else.
My budget is around 60-70 euros, so if you have any suggestions i will be more than grateful.
Please if there is more models that cross your mind, feel free to make a note of them, since i am not from US and I probably will not be able to find certain items
I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Cheers.

PS

I do hope that I havent broken any rules, i did read a lot before posting this thread but nothing really gave me the satisfying answer.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 5
Save a few Euros and get the Xonar DG or DGX.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply PurpleAngel !
So there is no use in going for Xonar DX?
When it comes to sound cards in general and gaming, how can a guy know which card is good for gaming (3D positional accuracy)?
Which parameters determine what makes a good gaming sound card, besides the amplifier of course?
Now I consider my self a tech kind of guy (but not an audiophile obviously), and i would like some kind of guidance when it comes to these thing. I know whole bunch of stuff about cpu's, gpu's,MB's, etc but sound cards have remained Terra Incognita for me for years.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 5
A Xonar DX can drive the the 62-Ohm HD668Bs headphones and has a better DAC then the DG(X).
But the DX also has a high output impedance, which might cause the HD668B to have a slightly bloated bass.
The Sound Blaster Z comes with the same DAC (CS4398) as the DX, plus the Z has a headphone amplifier.

Aug 30, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
PurpleA said:
mgel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A Xonar DX can drive the the 62-Ohm HD668Bs headphones and has a better DAC then the DG(X).
But the DX also has a high output impedance, which might cause the HD668B to have a slightly bloated bass.
The Sound Blaster Z comes with the same DAC (CS4398) as the DX, plus the Z has a headphone amplifier.

Thank you once again for that clarification.
Sound Blaster Z can be  found in my country, so if the web site isnt lying i might just grab that , although its a bit over my budget.

Again thank you very much for your help PurpleAmgel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back