Sound card for gaming.
Jul 31, 2019 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Fadetogrey

New Head-Fier
Hi new here. İ wont make it tiring long so i will directly explain my question.

İ use my computer for gaming. İ am using logictech z506 speakers and realtek onboard audio. The reason i want to upgrade is i cant hear the details well in games. For example while playing open world games, i can't hear details like leaves on ground, birds, wind unless i turn the volume too high but then its uncomfortable of course. İ want to hear those detailed sounds without having to turning up the volume very high levels.

İf i buy sound blaster z sound card for example, will it solve my problem? İf not, what do you suggest.?
İf yes, should i buy desktop or internal sound card? İ am also considering buying cheap-mid range headphones with the soundcard if that helps. Thanks.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 14
A used SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) sound card is a good value.
It's CS4398 DAC chip only process the audio for headphone or the 2 Front speakers,
which i guess were most of the important sound comes thru.
The SB-Z's SoundCore3D DSP chip does the DAC function for the center channel and subwoofer channel and rear channels.
The SB-Z's headphone jack has an output impedance of 22-Ohms, so not the best choice for driving low impedance (Ohm) headphones.
So 60-Ohm headphones would be somewhat ok
The Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphones are 150-Ohm, which is fine for plugging into the SB-Z.

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 14
İf i buy sound blaster z sound card for example, will it solve my problem? İf not, what do you suggest.?
İf yes, should i buy desktop or internal sound card? İ am also considering buying cheap-mid range headphones with the soundcard if that helps. Thanks.

An internal sound card will not solve your problem at all, there won't be any significantly audible difference, if any.
Better headphones will help a lot.

Also, sometimes the quiet audio details in games has nothing to do with the hardware you own, but it simply the final mix decided by the audio engineer at the game company.

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 14
Should i buy mid range headphones with a soundcard(sound blaster z)
or should i spend all the money to a better headphone and use it with the onboard realtek 892?
I would spend the budget on a very sensitive headphone that requires no extra amplification. It's a much more cost effective route especially at the start of anyone's audio-journey.

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 14
An internal sound card will not solve your problem at all, there won't be any significantly audible difference, if any.
Better headphones will help a lot.

Also, sometimes the quiet audio details in games has nothing to do with the hardware you own, but it simply the final mix decided by the audio engineer at the game company.

İ bought the sound blaster z card. You were right. That didn't solve my problem. But i managed to partially solve it with the control panel software. Losing higher sounds and gaining low ones. That is sacrifice from quality, not a solution of course, but it is good as an option at least, to use when needed.

İ chose to go with average sound card+ average headphone. Unlike your suggestion. You are probably right again. İ can refund it, add some more money and buy a good headphone. But even i don't really know anything about that audio thing, something inside me telling to buy a soundcard+average headphone and it will be ok :)

Anyway thanks for your answers. İ will think until tomorrow and decide to go on with average headphone+ sound card or without a soundcard but better headphone.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 14
Should i buy mid range headphones with a soundcard (Sound Blaster z)
or should i spend all the money to a better headphone and use it with the onboard realtek 892?
The Realtek ALC892 audio processor is an older audio DSP chip, nothing to brag about
The SB-Z is a decent sound card and offers a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) function, then the ALC892.
You really want to spend more of your audio budget for headphones, then the sound card (or DAC/amp) that drives them.
The SB-Z's head amp can easily drive headphones in the 150-Ohm to 300-Ohm range.
The (150-Ohm) Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphone offers great audio quality, for it's price.

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 14
No. Checking ears is a must for ur case. According to your discription, you have hearing impairment. Unless you are using a 20yrs old on board sound card. Even 10 yrs old on board sound card should be about to play those ambient sound out.

İ didn't say "i cant hear birds and winds in real life"

İ said "i cant hear them in games". So since you can't notice the difference between those 2 different things, you must have some problems in the head.

No stupid comments please.

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 14
No. Checking ears is a must for ur case. According to your discription, you have hearing impairment. Unless you are using a 20yrs old on board sound card. Even 10 yrs old on board sound card should be about to play those ambient sound out.
Perhaps you need to get your eyes checked.
Clearly you missed this part:

, i can't hear details like leaves on ground, birds, wind unless i turn the volume too high but then its uncomfortable of course.
Which has nothing to do with his hearing, but the specific audio levels in the gaming mix, and the lack of dynamic range in the Logitech Z506 loudspeakers.

Please get back on topic as you adding no value to the discussion.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 14
i will ask 1 last question because i have limited time for refund, and i can't find enough answers on the net.

i am planning to return sound blaster z and get an usb external sound card (sound blaster omni 5.1) instead. So i can use it everywhere.

May that usb external sound card create problem while gaming, because they are connected with usb, can there be a delay, or somrthing like that?

Aug 3, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #13 of 14
There will be no problems with delay. I've gamed on at least 4 external DAC's that I can recall with no issues.
Also I believe it is a wiser decision, as internal PCIe hardware can become obsolete or incompatible with motherboard and OS updates in the future, whereas USB drivers are fairly simple pieces of software that is unlikely to stop working on your future gaming rigs.
Standard USB ports might eventually become obsolete in the future and be replaced by USB type-C ports, but since they're essentially the same interface, that problem can be worked around through an adapter.

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 14
What about that 22 ohm output on both sbz and omni?
İ wanted to buy Sennheiser hd598 sr or philips shp9500,
İ read so much still no certain answer. Some say yes, some say no. İ wanted to ask here again. Will there be problem with those headphones if i use sound blaster z? Decrease in sound quality or other problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back