Sound card DAC/AMP upgrade
Dec 7, 2011 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

quastar

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm currently running my DT 880 straight out of my X-Fi Forte.  The forte has two DACs: a Cirrus Logic CS4382A and AKM AK4396, though I'm not sure which the headphone jack uses, but I'm guessing the AKM AK4396.  According to review sites, the AKM AK4396 is supposedly of high quality.  The op amp is a LME4972, which I assume powers the headphones.  I'm able to get more than enough volume from the Forte to the 880. 

I thought about selling the forte, but I still need its analoge output for my 5.1 Z-5500 speakers, and the chip for gaming.  I'm not a competative FPS player, so I don't need super accurate positioning.  I'd rather have superior audio quality versus positioning in games.           

I have a few questions.  1) what's the minimum I'll need to spend for a dedicated DAC and amp to hear a noticeable improvement in sound over the stock Forte?  2) If I could only get one, should it be an amp or DAC?   3) Any recommendations?  The cheaper the better.  I'd prefer a neutral sound, without too much added coloring to the headphones.  Many thanks!       

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 12
You know, that you can still use the forte and upgrade with a DAC/amp right?

Just use the Forte in digital mode.  So you get something like:

Forte Digital output-> S/pdif cable->DAC/Amp.

This keeps all the functions that you bought the Forte for and give you the boost in quality that you want.  All the features of the Forte will still be there over digital connection.

Hope that helps.

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 12
Don't mean to hijack, more like piggyback.

Would this be the same for titanium HD?

ti hd > spidf>dac/amp

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 12
What ROBSCIX said. Even though you're bypassing the Forte's analog circuitry, you can still make use of the X-Fi DSP for gaming, down to sending CMSS-3D Headphone-processed PCM over S/PDIF to an external DAC.

As for DAC pricing, I've been told that if you want a legitimate improvement over the best sound cards, you're going to have to spend $300-500 minimum. I'd focus less on DAC/amp combos for two reasons: you may want to upgrade DAC and amp separately, and if you ever get into electrostatics, they use completely different amps.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 12
I have been looking into DAC/amp all-in-one combos, but based on suggestions and further thoughts, I'll probably won't be looking at this route. 

I've most definitely considered the O2 upon learning about it a few days ago.  The designer announced that he's working on a desktop version that has a built-in DAC.  From what I've read so far, it's gonna be USB with no s/pdif support.  I guess that means I can't use my soundcard's features for gaming since there's no s/pdif?  If that's the case, then that'd be a shame because I was looking forward to the release, which probably won't be available until spring at the earliest.       

I'm always looking for the best value in terms of price to performance.  I'm sure a $2000 DAC will likely sound better than, say, a $500 one, but does it sound $1500 better?  So, any DAC suggestions that I can look into?      

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 12

Yeah, the Asahi Texas AK4396 / NE5532 finished DIY DAC project, around $106 on ebay.

Best DAC I've heard ever.

Edit: It's only Coax-in and RCA-out so I use it with a CD player, but I ordered a USB to COAX converter for it just recently.

Edit: Oh right, your sound-card is already AK4396 lol.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:

Yeah, the Asahi Texas AK4396 / NE5532 finished DIY DAC project, around $106 on ebay.

Best DAC I've heard ever.

Edit: It's only Coax-in and RCA-out so I use it with a CD player, but I ordered a USB to COAX converter for it just recently.

Edit: Oh right, your sound-card is already AK4396 lol.

So I guess my sound card already sounds familiar to that DIY DAC?
smile.gif
  If that's the case then NamelessPFG's probably right in that $300-500 is the minimum on a DAC.  If buying them separately is the better option, then upgrading the amp first would probably yield the more noticeable improvement for my current setup?  I'd rather buy one component at a time since it will be easier on my wallet.     

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 12
As far as amps, I think I more or less know which ones I'm considering.  It's just the DACs that I'm not too sure about.  There are a lot of good DACs out there, but some of the good, value priced ones don't support S/PDIF option.  Thanks for letting me know about the HP-A3, kiteki :wink:  I'm also looking at the Cambridge Audio DacMagic, and the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II.  I think these 3 are around $3-400.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back