Sound Card as DAC?
Jun 13, 2008 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

episteme

New Head-Fier
From what I understand, a complete PC setups consists of a PC (durr), a DAC and an amplifier. However, I have an Asus Xonar soundcard. Does this mean I can forgo the DAC? I've my heart set on the AKG 701/2 and a Little Dot MKII but that's the limit of my budget, so I was wondering if any addition purchases (TT__TT) would be necessary... thanks in advance for the help! You guys rock
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 22
In most cases, you still need a decent soundcard that bypasses the Kmixer for digital output to the DAC. Unless you are using the built in sound in the motherboard. So, there is really no way around having a soundcard even if you don't use the analog outputs.

Well, unless you have a DAC as a Sound Card, as in a USB DAC. I have the HeadAmp Pico and it interfaces via USB and shows up as a sound card essentially.

-Ed

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 22
I'm sorry, I may have phrased my question poorly. My question was if having a good soundcard makes a DAC unnecessary, as I already have an Asus Xonar. Thanks a lot for the response
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 22
If you are not going to use a really high quality dac, you don't need one. You don't even need an amp probably, if I know correctly, Xonar don't have a true line out as it already amplifies the sound. You will be amping an already amplified sound. Using an amp will only be understandable if xonar can't drive your phones adequately. But it should have no problem driving them.

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #7 of 22
Laptops have really poor Soundcards..its not even normal u know.

Hence for us laptop users the only solution is USB Soundcards.

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hence for us laptop users the only solution is USB Soundcards.

Only solution?
rolleyes.gif

I don't use USB, but rather optical out (S/PDIF) on my laptop and am very pleased with it. Its an alternative on par with USB imo.

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laptops have really poor Soundcards..its not even normal u know.

Have you heard all of them? Or you just assume all laptops are as crappy as yours?

Btw OP, a sound card contains a DAC.

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 22
I don't know about all laptop onboard soundcard, but mine is really crappy!
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only solution?
rolleyes.gif

I don't use USB, but rather optical out (S/PDIF) on my laptop and am very pleased with it. Its an alternative on par with USB imo.

So you are *ONLY* using the sound card of your MacBook? I check your DAC and it's about $2k, do you really think it's used at is best with just a mac sound card?

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 22
Well ..... thats not what he was saying. He simply pointed out that there where other solutions.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #13 of 22
Most Soundcards are DAC's but no DAC is a soundcard.

thats my conclusion.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dikiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are *ONLY* using the sound card of your MacBook? I check your DAC and it's about $2k, do you really think it's used at is best with just a mac sound card?

Correct!
I am *ONLY* using the sound card of my MacBook Pro. Worth noting that I don't use the analog part of it though, just the optical S/PDIF one. Which happen to be bit-perfect.

So I think its a very capable transport indeed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back