Sound card and Mic problem, PLEASE HELP!
Mar 18, 2011 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jeanwolfe

New Head-Fier
I have Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard and recently I bought Sennheiser ME-3 EW microphone. When I first plugged it in, it was doing fine, but fifteen minutes after setting up headphone for speech recognition,there was a deafening static noise and it wouldnt go away. I removed the the mike and it still persisted, and the only way to silence it was to mute the mike button on the audio manager.  I have three OS, Win 7, Vista, and XP and its the same on all of them, constant deafening static.  So I figured it might be the sound card that was busted, so I took it to Asus service center and it checked out fine, and in the meantime, I used the microphone on my onboard sound card and it worked fine! But when the sound card arrived back with no problems, I re-installed it and yes, you guessed it, deafening static! I used a usb adapter to use microphone independently of the sound card, but the same static! could someone help me please. I have checked the audio devices in control panel and all playback and recording are assigned to the sound card and I have no other softwares that might interfere with the sound card or default devices.

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 10
No one? any suggestions are welcome

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 10
This may or may not be related but, my ST is very picky about which power connector I use to plug it in with. If it does not like the one I use it emits a white noise like an old RF TV. Try swaping the molex connector used for the card and see if that clears it up, also jiggle the cables a little bit and make sure they are not near your video card (if you have one). Try to find one that doesn't have any other devices plugged into it along the line if you can.

Thats the best I can think of right now, good luck!

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 10
I have an ST. I'm not sure if it'll help but make sure mixer>record in the xonar control panel is set to "mic" and has that little red dot in the box.

After that, go to your audio control panel and disable all the other recording devices(recording tab) except for the "microphone" for essence ST.

I'm on win7, btw.

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 10
Yes have done all that.  When installed and running, other microphone ports like the onboard mic or a usb mic too give a deafening static like a radio with no signal turned all the way up.  Could this mean there is a motherboard problem?  You have to keep in mind that it doesnt matter if mic is actually plugged in or not, the deafening static noise is constant and uninterupted, unless I turn the mic off in the audio panel.

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 10
Omg I have had the weirdest revelation, could  my mic port have turned into an output port by any chance? That would explain a lot, because my pc does recognize my mic, but its in reverse, you know the sound loudness bars in the sound recorder is on full blast without any input, but when I talk into the mic, the loudness bars go down! could there be a change in motherboard circuit?

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 10
Is there a wifi device/router/AP near the PC? 

Maybe try moveing the box to another room? (if you have one - I only have 1 lol)

This only happens when the STX is installed? When the STX is uninstalled from the machine the other mic in's also produce this?

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Omg I have had the weirdest revelation, could  my mic port have turned into an output port by any chance? That would explain a lot, because my pc does recognize my mic, but its in reverse, you know the sound loudness bars in the sound recorder is on full blast without any input, but when I talk into the mic, the loudness bars go down! could there be a change in motherboard circuit?

That wouldn't explain why it happens to all the other ports too though

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 10
There are no such devices. Yes when I have removed the STX card and use normal motherboard audio port, I can use mic just fine. I even removed the graphics card and checked it, no difference. The card checked out to be fine by the Asus service center and mic works fine.

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 10
Another thing I failed to mention though. I had mistakenly bought a microphone pre-amp instead of a headphone amp and not knowing the wiring properly, I fed the output port into the microphone port instead of the input port, and when it didnt work, I just unplugged it and forgot all about it, but it was this time around that the deafening noise started. I have to mute the mike in order to use the PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back