sound card and external dac
Dec 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MoonSung

New Head-Fier
I currently have an asus dx with a schiit gungnir incoming.  Will it make any difference whether i connect the gungnir via toslink to my asus dx or my computer motherboard?  Will sound be any worse or better?

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 5
  I currently have an Asus DX with a Schiit Gungnir incoming.  Will it make any difference whether I connect the Gungnir via toslink to my Asus DX or my computer motherboard?  Will sound be any worse or better?

Hopefully you have disable the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS.
Plug the Gungnir into the Zonar DX's optical port.
Do you have a headphone amplifier for plugging into the Gungnir?

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah I disabled onboard sound in BIOs and the gungnir will be hooked up to a schiit lyr until I could afford an upgrade.  I was just wondering if it makes any difference in sound quality if i plug straight into motherboard or through the DX.  I found  out about "Razer Surround" that could replace surround sound by the Asus DX, so just seeing if I could possibly sell off the DX.

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 5
  Yeah I disabled on-board sound in BIOs and the Gungnir will be hooked up to a Schiit Lyr until I could afford an upgrade.  I was just wondering if it makes any difference in sound quality if i plug straight into motherboard or through the DX.

Chances are the sound quality will be the same, between the motherboard's and the Xonar DX's, S/PDIF optical connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back