Sound card and DAC reccomendation for setup.
Nov 20, 2015 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kempher

New Head-Fier
So I have decided to get myself a new setup and pass along my ATH-A900s and amp to a friend and do some upgrading.

So far I've decided on AKG K712s and Asgard 2 amp. What i'm up in the air about right now is a sound card and DAC. I mostly game, listen to a lot of techno and other similar music as well as rock, and watch movies and shows on my pc occasionally too. My setup will be used primarily on my pc. What I am curious about mostly is getting a sound card, the audio on my mobo is pretty much crap and is out of the question. Seeing as I will have an Asgard 2 I don't believe a high end sound card is worth it since I won't need the amp, will something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28N6032 be good or is that excessive for what I am looking at as well? Are there any other cards anyone would reccomend, I would prefer to keep the sound card under $150.

Regarding the DAC, would it be advisable that I get a DAC like the Mobi 2, or should I hold off and decide once I have the sound card and listen to how everything sounds?

Also, the Asgard 2 isn't a 100%, I was also considering the O2+ODAC REV B since it would fulfill all my needs however I prefer how the Asgard is compared to the O2 in terms of sound. But do you think it's really that different, or would it be worth just getting the O2+ODAC? I should note that I am not by any means experienced and am still pretty much a newbie in all of this.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 5
As your using an external headphone amplifier, the Xonar DX is about as much as you would rally need to spend, for a sound card with a nice DAC chip (CS4398) and Dolby Headphone surround sound.
I've often recommended to people to get the Xonar DX or D1 sound card and combine it with an external headphone amplifier, so for no one have contacted me afterwords with negative feedback about the combo.

Another option is to get a cheaper Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card ($25-$40) and an external DAC, with an optical connection, like a Schiit Modi ($100-$150).

The ODAC/O2 setup should do the job for you, but the ODAC offers zero headphone surround sound, if you really have no need for something like Dolby Headphone, then the ODAC would be fine.

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for your input, do you think I would notice any real difference going with the xonar dx vs xonar dg + mobi 2? The price difference would come out to be about $100 more expensive. The xonar dg has a built in amp, would double amping cause problems in the sound versus the xonar dx, or would that be solved with the Mobi 2?

As for the ODAC/O2 I didn't realize that it didn't support any surround sound so I would scratch that idea and go ahead with the Asgard 2 for sure.

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 5
  Thanks for your input, do you think I would notice any real difference going with the Xonar DX vs Xonar DG + Mobi 2? The price difference would come out to be about $100 more expensive. The Xonar DG has a built in amp, would double amping cause problems in the sound versus the Xonar DX, or would that be solved with the Mobi 2?

As for the ODAC/O2 I didn't realize that it didn't support any surround sound so I would scratch that idea and go ahead with the Asgard 2 for sure.

I would say to just go for the Xonar DX.
With the DG/DGX & Modi, I just wanted to make sure you at least knew of other options.
With the Modi connected to the Xonar DG/DGX (optical) and the Asgard connected to the Modi, the Xonar DG/DGX's headphone amplifier is not even in the picture.

But just buy a used Xonar DX, off eBay ($50?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back