Sound Card, Amp or DAC?
Jan 10, 2015 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jin092

New Head-Fier
I was wondering which out of the three titled, should i get?
Xonar STX 2 looks good for a sound card, but i need a bigger variety. 

Do i need a DAC AND an AMP as opposed to just getting a sound card?
Which would be worth it? 
I would like to get the most out of the headphone below.

Can i please get some suggestions?
Whatever headphones works. I'm looking at the ATH-MSR7 atm.

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 4
The headphones being used are the primary driver for what electronics you need. Most onboard mobo sound components are not designed to drive high impedance or low sensitivity audiophile headphones. The headphones you are considering are 35 Ohms and 100 db/mW. I think they would work OK connected directly to most sound devices.

That's the first step - determining whether there are any special needs required by the headphones you have selected.

After that, it becomes more of a judgement call. Many PC soundcards are focused on providing features important to some people - like sound processing used by gamers, or multichannel Dolby/DTS used for home theater. Audiophile DACs, amps and DAC/amps are usually focused on stereo music and will not have gaming or home theater features.

So - what are you trying to accomplish?

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 4
  I was wondering which out of the three titled, should i get?
Xonar STX 2 looks good for a sound card, but i need a bigger variety. 
Do i need a DAC AND an AMP as opposed to just getting a sound card?
Which would be worth it? 
I would like to get the most out of the headphone below.
Can i please get some suggestions?
Whatever headphones works. I'm looking at the ATH-MSR7 atm.

The 35-Ohm ATH-MSR7 headphones could easily be driven by my $27 FiiO E6 headphone amplifier.
So the amplifier on the STX II is overkill for what you need.

Asus Xonar DX sound card (used, $50) and a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60) should work well for you.
The E11K has a very low output impedance (<1-Ohm) which is a good match for 35-Ohm headphones.

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 4

The 35-Ohm ATH-MSR7 headphones could easily be driven by my $27 FiiO E6 headphone amplifier.
So the amplifier on the STX II is overkill for what you need.

Asus Xonar DX sound card (used, $50) and a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60) should work well for you.
The E11K has a very low output impedance (<1-Ohm) which is a good match for 35-Ohm headphones.

What about my current Headset?
G4ME ZERO,  running on a Xonar DG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back