Sound Card Advice?
Feb 28, 2008 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

freqofsound

New Head-Fier
I need to know what will be the best sound card to choose for the following set up, any suggestions will be helpful:

Need sound card with digital coax or optical s/pdif out to connect to Harman/Karden AVR745. System is set up for 5.1 surround, but has 7.1 capability.
Uses will be music playback for iTunes, and all the PC audio.

I'm not too familiar with computer sound cards, but I need something that is reliable, and solid, with great sound.

Thank you.

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 5
What is your budget?

$20-50,
$50-150,
$150-300

What do you mean with PC sound?
music
movies
youtube and other online media
games

?

X-Fi Prelude is great but pricey, there are cheaper X-Fi cards out there that might be a better fit actually.

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 5
I am running a Prelude on my machine and I think that it is a great card, however, if you are just going to be using the digital out you don't need to spend that much on a card. I got mine because I wanted EAX for games and the optical out for watching movies.

I would think that you can go with something much cheaper if you are just looking for optical out. I think that the Auzen XPlosion would be something that you are looking for.

Newegg.com - AuzenTech XPlosion 7.1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 5
If you've got $50-100, I say go with the soundblaster xfi fatality. I happened to just get one from compusa since they are going out of business and as soon as it finally started working, it sounds like I've got new headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back