sound card advice, dead onboard
Apr 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

upperguy

New Head-Fier
Okay so I''ve searched a bunch here and on the Google and everyone seems to have a different opinion so I'd like to get some info from people who may have had direct experience(or indirect, as long as you've got something:wink:). So my onboard recently died and I had been using that along with the little Fiio hooked to my PC350's with great result. It wasn't ideal but it worked. I primarily use my setup for gaming, though probably 35% of the time music and movies. So I picked up a Bestbuy brand cheapie to hold me over until I can decide on which direction to go.

I've been looking in the sub $100 range and it would almost exclusively be used through a headset(PC350) but occasionally some very basic speakers. I'd also like it to have a digital out(almost everything does but still). I've been looking at the Auzen Bravura and some of the Asus offerings but have been leaning more towards the Auzen, It just seems like everywhere I look I find conflicting information on it.

So any information you guys can offer beyond, "Asus sucks get a creative" and "Creative is garbage yadda yadda" would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 25
Both brands are good, but gaming is Creative's strong point, which makes Auzentech the ideal choice for you, as they also excel at music and movies. Auzentech X-Fi Forte would suit your needs very well, and should be within your budget.

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 25
IMO the standard Creative cards for the most part simply aren't worth their money. My X-Fi music only became a good value after modding it, before I found the improvement over my on-board card rather disappointing. Out of the box, the Asus STX IMO offers a better value despite their higher pricetag: SMD soldering isn't for everyone. The Auzentech cards do look good (specs/components used), but I haven't heard any of those.

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 25
Here are two alternatives in your price range (both are refurbished, but I've found that Creative does a nice job with their refurb. stuff, it arrives looking like new):

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - $69.99
http://us.outletstore.creative.com/Refurbished-Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium/M/B002ZB2L3Q.htm 

X-Fi Titanium - $49.99
http://us.outletstore.creative.com/Refurbished-Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium/M/B004TA2870.htm

The Titanium cards use the EMU20K2 chip, which was a fix for some crackling and popping issues that some people experienced with the the EMU20K1 chips (used on the XtremeMusic and XtremeGamer cards).

The difference between the Titanium and the Fatal1ty variant is the Fatal1ty card has 64MB XRAM, while the normal titanium card has 16MB. The Fatal1ty card also has an EMI shield, and a little X-Fi symbol that lights up with a white LED.

I have 2 sound cards in my computer, Asus Xonar Essence STX (for music) and the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro (for gaming). I listen to both using Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 ohm) and the Fatal1ty card does a commendable job with music, and is excellent for gaming.

The Titanium cards have S/PDIF as well.

I don't know how the Creative cards stack up against the Auzentech cards, but on the computer forum I'm on, Auzentech cards do not have the best reputation for quality. There are quite a few comments stating, "Auzentech cards die after a year." Don't let that dissuade you, I'm sure the incidence of death is pretty low, just wanted to make you aware.

I know you said you've been looking at cards in the sub-$100 range, but you may want to consider the X-Fi Titanium HD (~$150, I've seen it for less though). It is the best gaming sound card you can buy, and from what I've read, it is comparable to the Xonar Essence cards for music, with many people preferring the X-Fi Titanium HD. You're going to have any of these sound cards for a few years at least, so if you're willing to blow an extra $50 it may be money well-spent. Note that the Titanium HD doesn't have a headphone amp.

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 25
Agreed, the Titanium HD is indeed an amazing soundcard, on par with Essence STX, and with all the gaming features only Creative has.

But for a budget, either a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro or Auzentech X-Fi Forte will do very well. Leave those Xonar cards out of the equation.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 25
Firstly, thank you all for taking the time to write out all this for me, I really do appreciate it.

The reason I was looking at the Auzen cards initially was because a few places I had seen people say that they used the Creative chips with higher quality parts after that. I mean bottom line I will probably be happy with whatever I end up going with(along with all the options I could potentially have) but you're absolutely right. I will be using this card until it breaks or it doesn't fit in whatever computer I have at the time. hopefully it gets to that point, not the breaking one:p

If it really came down to it I don't mind spending the money on a nicer card, I've got a bit of disposable I can throw at it. My concern is would that money be better spent being tossed at something else though. The PC350 is a very nice set of cans but I'm sure you get where I'm going. Unfortunately I'm the type that does a million hours of research before spending any money(great in theory, pain in the butt in practice!)

Edit: I saw that the forte(refurbished) is only $90 on Auzen's site and $150 normally, naturally it is backordered. The refurb'd Bravura is also $90 but I can't find any good info comparing them.

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 25
Okay, lets say I drop a little extra coin on the X-fi Titanium HD, Would I need an amp for my PC350's? I've also been toying around with the idea of getting a set of AD700 for gaming, but lets not factor that in for now.

I have the Fiio E3, but I recently had everything run through an old Onkyo receiver and man did it sound great, so full and powerful then back to the cheapie soundcard with the E3 and I'm wondering why everything needs to be distorted at 100% for it to be near loud enough(I'm not one of those people blowing my ears out with headphones but I do like to immerse myself.)

So lets say I go creative, is it worth it to spend the $150 alone or would I then need an amp. And how do the ~$100 cards with amps stack up?

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 25
I really like my Asus Xonar DX, it only takes under 10 minutes to download and fix/reinstall the drivers. With Creative I found my self having to fix/reinstall the drivers a few times a year and what a pain if you can not find the correct driver CD. Also with Windows Vista and Windows 7 the Asus is gaining on the Creative when it comes to gaming. If you get the Asus Xonar DG, you can put more money towards other computer stuff.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 25
The Titanium HD is a fine soundcard, and will give you quite clear audio, and all the gaming goods that Asus just can't deliver. Basically there's nothing that can beat Creative for gaming, and even if you went just with Auzentech X-Fi Forte or even a X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional, it would still have better gaming performance than Asus.
The PC350 can be used unamped, but you could try and see how the E3 works with them. In the event of you getting newer headphones in the future, an amp would be a good idea to be planned along as well.

@Tacoboy: You really should do proper system maintenance, because in all the years I've owned Creative soundcards, the only time I need to install drivers is when I'm setting up a system. Drivers don't just break down on their own.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
The Titanium HD is a fine soundcard, and will give you quite clear audio, and all the gaming goods that Asus just can't deliver. Basically there's nothing that can beat Creative for gaming, and even if you went just with Auzentech X-Fi Forte or even a X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional, it would still have better gaming performance than Asus.
The PC350 can be used unamped, but you could try and see how the E3 works with them. In the event of you getting newer headphones in the future, an amp would be a good idea to be planned along as well.

@Tacoboy: You really should do proper system maintenance, because in all the years I've owned Creative soundcards, the only time I need to install drivers is when I'm setting up a system. Drivers don't just break down on their own.

I switch a lot from headphones to 5.1 speakers, the creative drivers did not seem to like doing that, Asus drivers are just so much easier to fix if there is a problem, In the past i've used Creative Audigy 2 ZS, Audigy 4, and Xtreme Gamer, I've been building PC for 15 years, I think I understand "Proper system maintenance".

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
I switch a lot from headphones to 5.1 speakers, the creative drivers did not seem to like doing that, Asus drivers are just so much easier to fix if there is a problem, In the past i've used Creative Audigy 2 ZS, Audigy 4, and Xtreme Gamer, I've been building PC for 15 years, I think I understand "Proper system maintenance".

Then what exactly were the symptoms of going from headphones to speakers, and how did you switch them through software?

About the system maintenance, I'm sorry if it came off sounding harsh, but I've spend decades handling PCs, and Creative driver issues rarely happened, and those weren't with any of my systems. You do know that certain generations of Creative soundcards are recommended for certain OSes, that's very clear on the subtext of many support answers.

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
I have a Xonar D2X on Ebay at the moment with a $90 bid. It will easily trump any new <$100 card if you can get it at around that price,

The card is under austincabarnes if you are interested.

tried to find you a few days ago and couldn't anywhere! how much did it end up going for

May 3, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
Try Xonar.

No. (I hope it was as succint as your answer
tongue.gif
)

Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
Auzentech X-Fi Forte

Any of these soundcards have a very good price/performance ratio, and the gaming performance on these surpasses any Asus soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back