Sound blocking headphones to use while cutting grass?
Jul 17, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #17 of 27
I mow with my e2cs on, stock flex sleeves (large ones, my ears are ginormous
tongue.gif
). They're a bit outside your price range at $60-$65 shipped, but maybe you can justify it - they really sound nice considering their price & portability. Cord isn't microphonic (though I've read Ety cords are).

Jul 17, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #18 of 27
Well, if you've got a Guitar Center nearby and decent negotiating skills you should be able to get the price of a Shure E2 down to $60 (including tax).

If you go that route, running it over your ears, down your back (like the instruction shows), and inside your shirt should work quite well. If you use the cinch they'll stay in place very well. It may not drown out the sound completely, especially with talk radio, but it will significantly reduce the amount of noise you're dealing with.

Jul 17, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #19 of 27
I have no problem wearing earmuffs with my glasses whenever I go to the shooting range. If you could get one of those shooting earmuffs, coupled with even the sony ex-71 you should be perfectly fine.

Jul 17, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #20 of 27
Another useless suggestion, as it is also outside the $ range. Thankfully I don't have to mow for 4hrs, however within that 15-20mins of rumbling, my ER4 does just nicely...

Jul 17, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #21 of 27
I use Sennheiser HD 280 for cutting grass. They don't block out all of the motor sound, but I think 80% or so. Enough for me. But they are more expensive than the proce you wanted.

Georg

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #22 of 27
Whatever you do, do take precutions to make sure you are protecting your hearing. Make sure you adjust the volume on the headphones to a comfortable level PRIOR to starting the motor. If you can't hear the music over the motor noise, you need to figure out a new solution, not turn it up -- you'll almost certainly be damaging your hearing if you are drowning out the motor with music. If you're getting decent isolation, as from a Shure or Etymotic that is well fitted (the foamies are best I think for this purpose), or with a real sound isolating headset like those Direct Sound ones (the Senn HD280's may come somewhat close, but something like my beloved DT770s do NOT), they you'll be able to play the music at a non-damaging level and still not be bothered by the motor.

Jul 17, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #23 of 27
I suggest you DON'T listen to music while mowing the lawn. You are multiplying the sound entering your ears 2-3 times if you do this. Even if you use IEM's that seal the ear canal, sound is transmitted to your ears from sound vibrations to your skull. Lawn mowers are very noisy to begin with - probably at least 90-95 db. Tinnitus is unpleasant and once you get it it is usually permanent. You could do a lot of hearing damage very quickly at the combined volume level of the mower and your music.

Just use earmuffs you can buy at Home Depot and/or ear plugs and get a self-propelled mower so you can get the job done quickly enough. Save the music listening for quiet times when you can enjoy it safely.

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #24 of 27
there's only one phone I'd recommend..
and that's the sony mdr-NC11.. but the thing is, you'd need second hand (for the price range) or ebay and new (ex71) tips.

Jul 17, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #25 of 27
*Puts on flame suit*
I remember someone on here saying they mow the lawn with some Spark Plugs; do a search on them. Sounds good to me if all you want to do is hear the music and mow your lawn- nothing fancy and nothing that you'll worry about getting sweaty and dirty since they're only 20 bucks.
EDIT: Here's the thread.

Jul 17, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #26 of 27
Thanks to everybody who replied. I actually was going to go with the Original Koss plugs and am so glad I didn't.

I also didn't realize the Sure E2's could be had so cheaply. I thought they cost over $100. I want to get better headphones for regular listening anyways so I think I'll spend the extra $$ and get the e2's and some earmuffs.

If I feel I'm being too rough with the e2's I'll just switch to the junky stock earbuds/earmuff combo. (The Koss Sparkplugs option sounds interesting too.)

Btw, does the E2 come with foamies or are they extra?
*edit* I just read that the E2's come with a Fit Kit. Here's a description:

"Fit Kit
Because every ear is different, Shure provides 3 pairs (S, M, L) of disposable foam sleeves and three pairs (S, M, L) of re-useable flex sleeves to ensure a personalized fit"

Dan

PS. I'll have to find some Sure E2 decals for my earmuffs to impress the neighbors with what I have "under the hood".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back