Sound Blaster ZX - return or not?
Dec 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

alexw

New Head-Fier
I got a Sound Blaster ZX for Christmas, and I'm considering to return it and get something like a FiiO E7 in stead.

How is the sound in E7 compared to ZX?

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 15
  I got a Sound Blaster ZX for Christmas, and I'm considering to return it and get something like a FiiO E7 in stead.

I would say to return the Sound blaster Zx and get the Sound Blaster Z (SB1500), $80.

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 15
I've never thought that, that's why they make gift receipts. If you don't like the gift you got, why should you be stuck with it? Sure the gesture is nice, but I'm sure the person giving you the gift wants you to have something that you will be happy with. Besides, sometimes the best intentions sometimes aren't backed up by the most knowledge. If a family member bought you a pair of Beats, wouldn't you go return them for something you like more? (if you like Beats, then think of something you don't like instead :p)

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 15
  It seems kind of immoral to return a Christmas present for the money

Give the difference back to the one who bought you the Zx.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 15
  I've never thought that, that's why they make gift receipts. If you don't like the gift you got, why should you be stuck with it? Sure the gesture is nice, but I'm sure the person giving you the gift wants you to have something that you will be happy with. Besides, sometimes the best intentions sometimes aren't backed up by the most knowledge. If a family member bought you a pair of Beats, wouldn't you go return them for something you like more? (if you like Beats, then think of something you don't like instead :p)

Yes, but I wouldn't swap a Beats Studio out for a Solo HD. Or a Monster Turbine Pro Copper for a Monster Turbine.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 15

It might come down to the headphones being used with the Zx or E7.
The E7's headphone amplifier is very low impedance (around 1-Ohm?), which better then the Zx's 22-Ohm impedance.

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 15
  So if I'm buying headphones with high impedance, I should get another DAC?

It's preferred to have the impedance of the headphones to be 8 times (or more) the impedance of whatever jack the headphones are plugged into.
So with the FiiO E7, you could use headphones that have an impedance as low as 12-Ohms
Where as technically with the Zx you would want to get headphones that are 176-Ohms (22-Ohm X 8) or higher, but that's not really practical.
I would assume a lot of headphones between 32-Ohms and 60-Ohms are being plugged in the Zx.

Another factor is to consider that as the E7 uses a USB interface, it will bypass any sound card used with the computer, which is fine for music or watching videos in stereo sound.

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 15
I don't watch a lot of movies on my computer. Do you know if the E7 supports OSX? I have a Macbook Air which I would like to use it with if I buy it. Why does the impedance need to be 8 times as high on the headphone as on the sound source? I have yet to decide which headphones to get.

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 15
  I don't watch a lot of movies on my computer. Do you know if the E7 supports OSX? I have a Macbook Air which I would like to use it with if I buy it. Why does the impedance need to be 8 times as high on the headphone as on the sound source? I have yet to decide which headphones to get.

So far I have not seen an problems in general for FiiO products working with the Mac OS.

The 8 times impedance has to do with damping, The 8 times is it more like a lose guide line, then a rule.

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 15
It seems like I'll return it, then. I could even order the same card online if I decide I want it after all to get better rights (In Norway, I can even take it out, try it, and still return it if it's ordered online.)

That's why I'm ordering headphones online as well.

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #14 of 15
You'll probably get better quality if you purchase an external, dedicated dac/amp. However, I might recommend you keep the sound card just for the surround sound. You can always purchase an external dac/amp later and use it with the sound card's optical out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back