Sound blaster Z setup with dac / amp
Feb 7, 2017 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

specthram

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I have a sound blaster z sound card, with Philips fidelio X2 headphones and 2.1 speakers, both plugged at the rear panel. I use the software button to switch between headphones and speakers and it works great.

My questions are about quality enhancement in a first time, and in a second time how to keep my switch working with a new setup.

I am very curious about schiit modi and magni (the famous schiit stack). I read somewhere than I can plug modi dac to spdif, to keep using 3D sound processing from the desktop card. My question is about the usefulness a this kind of setup. Is the sound really better ? Is it worth the ~250$ investment ?

My second question is about my "switch" configuration. I switch really often between headphones and speakers. Is it possible to keep this configuration with this kind of setup ?
Is there another option to consider ?

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 9
I would say the $250 is better spent on headphones that might offer a different sound from the Philips Fidelio X2.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152420702565?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Technically the Magni's lower output impedance (>1-Ohm) is better for driving the 30-Ohm X2, then the SB-Z's (22-Ohm output impedance) headphone jack.
But not sure if there is much real world benefit, that you would hear.

But, yes, the SB-Z can send it's SBX Headphone surround sound thru the optical port

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi purpleangel,
Thank you for your response. I like my headphone because they are very confortable, and delivers great basses (i like powerful basses).
I tried in the past a beyerdynamic mmx-300 (dt-770) and I had issues with confort, I could not wear it for more than 30 minutes (too much pressure and bad pads). The philips is very confortable and i like it. So if i go to new headphones, it must to be at least as confortable as the philips. Maybe the Sennheiser HD 650 is a good choice too ? Should i try T90 ?

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 9
  I just bought the so called Sennheiser HD 650.
The sound seems to be very great, more equilibrated than my philips (fidelio x2 is just a toy ?
biggrin.gif
). 30 minutes of testing my flacs and it's another world. Wow. So no need amp / dac I guess ?

For music audio, you might consider getting a Darkvoice 336SE tube headphone amplifier ($214-$250), connect it the sound card's Front Speaker jack.
The Z can not send it's SBX headphone surround sound audio thru the Front Speaker jack, but surround sound is not needed for music audio or any other kind of 2-channel audio.
Then plug the headphone into the SB-Z's headphone jack for surround sound gaming.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se

2.0 or 2.1 speakers can be connected to the Darkvoice's RCA line-output.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for you advice. Are you sure for the front panel story ? Because I tested it and it seems to actually have surround.
I want to keep surround because I play as much I listen to music and watch movies / series.
What will this amplifier bring to me in terms of sound ? I have great volume at 30-40/100 and if I set it to 100/100 it just explodes my ears. Why a darkvoice and not a schiit by the way ?
thanks

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 9
  Thanks for you advice. Are you sure for the front panel story ? Because I tested it and it seems to actually have surround.
I want to keep surround because I play as much I listen to music and watch movies / series.
What will this amplifier bring to me in terms of sound ? I have great volume at 30-40/100 and if I set it to 100/100 it just explodes my ears. Why a darkvoice and not a schiit by the way ?
thanks

A line-output jack, the one you would normally plug an amplifer to, is better at feeding an analog audio signal, to an ampliifer, then an amplified headphone jack.
Guessing the front panel jack (when using a Creative Z series card) is an amplified headphone jack (and you get head headphone surround sound with it).
Maybe the Creative has a setting to switch the front panel, between a amplifier headphone jack and a line-output, just do not know.
I was orignially referring to the back panel Front Speaker jack, to plug a headphone amplifier, like the Darkvoice into.

I own the Darkvoice 336SE and really like it, nothing against Schiit.

By reputation, Sennheiser HD650 do best when there is a powerful amplifier driving them.
Might try asking on this thread about what works for bring out the best audio quality in the HD650.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread

The Creative Sound Blaster Z (& Zx) come with a half-way decent built in headphone and can drive a lot of headphones decently.
I think the SB-Z card is one of the best values there is in a sound card.
But I'm guessing the Darkvoice could add a little extra to the HD650 over all sound.

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 9
After some researches, I had finally selected 3 amps.
- Schiit Valhalla 2 (a little expensive for me but seems to be great)
- Darkvoice 336SE
- Little Dot MK2

I heard about a bottlehead crack but I don't like the DIY part, I leave in a little appartment, I don't have enough tools and space to do it myself.
The valhalla 2, for 300ohms is 800mW RMS per channel. I can't find this information on the darkvoice and little dot, and I'm not sure it is the right value to care about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back