Sound Blaster Z > Magni > DT990 , will Fiio D03k make a difference?
Dec 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HerrXRDS

100+ Head-Fier
I recently upgraded my old, low impedance cans to DT990 250Ohms, I was not expecting this to be so complicated. I've been reading this forum for the past two days, developed a serious headache and things are still unclear so if you could give me some advice I would appreciate it.  

Currently I have an on-board ACL1150 sound card, I've ordered the DT990 and a SoundBlaster Z to drive them. Soon after. I've read that the SB Z is not enough to drive them despite it's advertised 600 OHM amplified headphone port, so I've ordered the Schiit Magni 2. Now I've found about the problems double amplification can cause
confused_face.gif
I am using this setup for games so I need to use either the amplified headphone port or SPDIF if I want to keep the surround effects.
If I get a DAC like D03k to use on SPDIF, will I notice a big difference compared to using the headphone port? Do I need a more expensive DAC to be worthwhile? 

As you can tell, my standards are pretty low, I just want something that sounds nice and this is getting a lot more expensive than I was expecting, so, is this configuration decent:
Sound Blaster Z > Magni 2 > DT990 ? 
Should I go with: 
Sound Blaster Z > D03K > Magni 2 > DT990 ?
Or maybe ditch everything and use
ACL1150> AudioEngine D1 > DT990
or
ACL1150> SMSL SD793-II > DT990

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 3
After reading a few more threads about similar setups, it seems like a SBZ> SPDIF DAC > Magni setup won't make a difference compared to Magni connected directly to the amplified headphone port on SBZ. Apparently double amping isn't that bad and the DAC on SBZ is good enough. I think I've reach a threshold of diminishing returns for my money.

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 3
I found the SB-Z fairly decent at driving the 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.

But I guess you can try connecting the Magni 2 to the SB-Z's headphone output.

If all your doing is listening to music, then plug the Magni 2 into the front speaker jack on the SB-Z and set the SB-Z for 2-channel speaker output, should give you the best possible music audio quality for the given hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back