Sound Blaster X7 Problem with installation. PLEASE HELP!
Dec 18, 2014 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

johnstac

Head-Fier
Alright, so I just received this new external card. I have read the literature thoroughly but I am stuck. When I opened the box, There were probably 7 power cords. Most of them I could tell were for use in other countries BUT there were3 power cords that could be used in a standard household outlet! Yes 3! Guess what? There is no mention of this fact anywhere in the documentation. In the box there is a quick guide poster that I actually taped up on the wall because it was so huge. It provided limited information anyway though. It made no mention of what was included in the box. Next, I went online and I did in fact find an online manual for the X7. Guess what? While it does include information on what is in the box, it does not mention multiple plugs. Unbelievable! You would think that with 3 plugs that could fit in a household outlet, they might mention details. Well, I just picked one and plugged it in. I got everything hooked up and downloaded the control panel. Now is where the problem started. The control panel goes through an setup dialog. On the 4th screen it stated the following:

"Are you using the high output adapter?
The high output adapter is an optional item which may be included with the product purchased. Use the power adapter if you are connecting to 4 ohm speakers to achieve 100W audio power output."

After this, I have to select a box:

1. "No, I'm using the 70W standard adapter"

2. "Yes, I'm using the 144W high output power adapter"

This is hilarious. It does not show a diagram or indicate how to differentiate the cords. While there is text on the plugs, there is no 70W or 144W listed on any of the 3 cords. And why 3 cords if they are only referencing two cords? I just don't get it at all. I googled this and found nothing anywhere. The only difference I can see between the 3 cords is that two of them have the small holes in the blades that are pushed into the outlet. Then I have one other that is solid with no holes in the blades. Hoping that someone has bought and is using the X7 and can help me make sense of this cord issue. Would appreciate it kindly.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 2
Look at the label on each power supply. It should show an output current in amps. The highest amp rating should be the high-power supply. What does each label show as the output voltage and amps?

As far as I could tell from the manual & google, you are only supposed to get one power adapter in the box, and there is a "high-power" adapter that is optional and sold separately. This is only used if you are driving passive speakers from the speaker terminals. If you are using headphones or powered speakers, it doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back