Sound Blaster x7 DAC/AMP bottleneck for the Focal Clear Headphones?
Nov 1, 2021 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

PredCaliber

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

After some long research I just bought the Focal Clear as a new headphone for my Sennheiser HD 650 after many years of use.

First impressions... well, I have to say that I am a bit underwhelmed.. (Especially after all the reviews that this is one of the best headphones you can buy.)

To be honest I suspect my Sound Blaster x7 (external) DAC/AMP to be somewhat of a bottleneck here. I really have to work hard to find some Lossless and Tidal Hifi Master tracks which sounds somewhat noticeably better than my HD650. I just cant imagine a 1500$ headphone vs a 350$ that you should not be able to hear much difference, so that is why.

When I listen to some 'mastered' classical music tracks, I finally understand the term '' wider soundstage'', those sound more rich and better on my Focal Clear than on my HD650. But for all the other HQ loseless music.. I really REALLY have to try my best to hear any difference.

Does anyone have an idea if the Sound Blaster X7 DAC/AMP is the limiting factor here? (If not, big thumbs up to the HD650 :wink: )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back