Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro vs Asus GTS 450 High Definition Audio
Jun 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mephasm

New Head-Fier
Hello.
Let me start by explaining my basic hardware.
My pc connects to an LCD monitor via HDMI.
I have an Asus GTS 450 graphic card.
I have a 5.1 surround with a receiver.
I have a Realtek High definition onboard audio card.
Due to bad audio quality with the Realtek card(I used to connect to my receiver via RCA cable), I also recently bought a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro audio card, such that I could connect to my receiver via an optical cable).

Thing is I thought that by getting the Creative card would mean the end of all my audio troubles.
But it turns out that when I play movies on my pc, sometimes the voices are distorted,sometimes you hear the background music/noises more than the voice.(Music is alright though).So I tried Control panel > Sound and tried to configure the Sound Blaster card.When I ran the sound test option in Configure, only the front left and right gave me audio. The center,sub woofer and rear speakers did not play any sound.
I grew tired of troubleshooting the card - I googled a lot here and there, tried stuff but it just did not work.

So as a last resort I tried to connect my TV to my receiver via optical cable.My pc is already connected to my TV via HDMI through my graphic card.I changed the default playback device to Nvidia High Definition Audio(disabled my other audio devices as well in the process) and my TV sound is set to external. Big surprise there, I played the same movies I was experiencing difficulties with the creative card, and no problem at all, clear voices with a nice surround effect. But there is a slight buzzing sound when my pc is idle and my tv/receiver is on.

So my question is should I just leave it there? Or should I try to troubleshoot the Sound Blaster card?
I am under the impression that if I succeed in troubleshooting the Creative sound card, I'm gonna get a flawless audio connection cuz it's dedicated to sound only whereas the current setup is not a dedicated audio connection. Also I don't want to throw away the Sound Blaster card just yet, it's only been 1 week since I got it! Help would be really appreciated!

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 7
Disable the X-Fi Surround 5.1 (unfortunately the Pro version) DSP effects from the control panel and audio console. CMSS3D and SVM degrade sound IMO. Also, you should never use Windows control panel to configure the X-Fi.

Most likely, CMSS3D is the culprit on your system.

From what I've understood, the "Pro" versions of both Surround 5.1 and Go! have buzzing issues, while the regular versions haven't (and the non-Pro versions have higher specs).

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 7
A little more details - Here's a few screenshots:

My current default playback device.

With the sound blaster card.

When the test runs, only R & L give sound.
I have to add though, the c,sub,RL and RR still give sound during movie playback on my pc - it's just distorted/bad quality or unclear voices.
So it's even more confusing!

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Disable the X-Fi Surround 5.1 (unfortunately the Pro version) DSP effects from the control panel and audio console. CMSS3D and SVM degrade sound IMO. Also, you should never use Windows control panel to configure the X-Fi.

Most likely, CMSS3D is the culprit on your system.

From what I've understood, the "Pro" versions of both Surround 5.1 and Go! have buzzing issues, while the regular versions haven't (and the non-Pro versions have higher specs).

I didn't quite understand your post.
But with the X Fi card I don't get any buzzing issues - it's with the Nvidia HDMI audio :S
Also if CMSS3D is the culprit, how do I troubleshoot that?

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:

I didn't quite understand your post.
But with the X Fi card I don't get any buzzing issues - it's with the Nvidia HDMI audio :S
Also if CMSS3D is the culprit, how do I troubleshoot that?

Two important things. First, never use the Windows control panel to adjust anything on the X-Fi. Second, disable all enhancements, like CMSS3D, EAX, SVM, etc.

Use Creative's own control panel to adjust everything.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 7
So are you getting a buzzing sound out of the speakers at all times? Alternately, have you tried (or can you try) plugging the HDMI into the receiver instead of the TV and then using the receiver's HDMI-out for the TV? Does your realtek card offer optical or coaxial digital out?

The X-Fi thing sounds like a configuration issue, but creative's products are such a pain to deal with that I'd just send it back anyway. It sounds like there might be a way to troubleshoot this so you don't need it. Just need to figure out a way to get the unadulterated bitstream out to your receiver.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm using SB X-Fi 5.1 (not a pro) connected to my home theatre via Optic cable and at 1st I had the same problem, that only 2 speakers of 6 worked, but the mistake is choosing "Default Playback Device"You should select S/PDIF one, because if you choose "Speakers" it tries to output sound via audio jacks and only stereo goes through optic jack. After switching to S/PDIF i had no problems with sound...
Also avoid leaving headset plugged in to the Creative device, better set up communication software (skype, ventrilo and etc.) to use nVidia HD audio :)

P.S. Hope it helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back