Sound Blaster X-Fi HD -vs- Fiio E10 ?
Apr 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TStarGermany

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy one of these two to get some proper music sound through my headphones (it will serve no other purpose)

Both have good reviews and are very close together price wise.
Does anyone have experiences with the both of them ?

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
I'm looking to buy one of these two to get some proper music sound through my headphones (it will serve no other purpose)
Both have good reviews and are very close together price wise.
Does anyone have experiences with the both of them ?

If 2-channel audio is all you want, get the Fiio E10.

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:

If 2-channel audio is all you want, get the Fiio E10.

Except the X-Fi HD has measures better than the E10 in just about all scenarios. And unless there is an absolute necessity for an additional headphone amp, the E10 isn't really the way to go.

TStarGermany, what gear are you using with an external DAC? Headphones, speakers, what?

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 7
The scenario is simple:
- I sold my Auzentech X-Fi Forte because it was malevolent to the internals of my pc-setup (as any internal soundcard is)
- I'm unhappy with the onboard-sound output of my motherboard.
- Therefor I'm looking for an external device which brings some good, (slightly) amped sound to my (current and future) headphones, 99% main purpse: listening to music. Of course I will play games with it as well, but I don't need any special functionality on that side.

The X-Fi HD and the Fiio E10 seem to be just what I'm looking for.
Both are basically USB/DACs with amplified headphone output (along with some other stuff irrelevant to me) and regarding the reviews, both seem to do their job well ...

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
The scenario is simple:
- I sold my Auzentech X-Fi Forte because it was malevolent to the internals of my pc-setup (as any internal soundcard is)
- I'm unhappy with the onboard-sound output of my motherboard.
- Therefor I'm looking for an external device which brings some good, (slightly) amped sound to my (current and future) headphones, 99% main purpse: listening to music. Of course I will play games with it as well, but I don't need any special functionality on that side.
The X-Fi HD and the Fiio E10 seem to be just what I'm looking for.
Both are basically USB/DACs with amplified headphone output (along with some other stuff irrelevant to me) and regarding the reviews, both seem to do their job well ...

You haven't posted what gear your using, as in headphone brand and model.

You would do good to get the X-Fi HD, as it is a higher quality DAC, and when you get harder to drive headphones, just add an headphone amp to the chain and you'll be all set.

May 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Simple Creative Aurvana Live:) ... the X-FI HD arrived today, it's quite amazing :D

Right now I am listening to Gil Shaham - Kreisler in Concerto .. I didn't think classic could sound so good on the CAl :)

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 7
Hey, question here. I'm looking to get a usb dac and then running that though an amp (which seems pretty important to getting the best out of either of these products.) now i know they both have a line out so that's not a problem. But i was wondering, i can get the fiio for around $75 and the Creative for about $100 is the Creative worth the extra $25? if so why?

Preferences: 
Sound:Neutral preferred mid emphasis if anything
Music: rock, typically of a hard and intricate nature
Cans: Shure srh-840 at the moment, looking to continue expansion...

thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back