Sound Blaster X-Fi HD vs. Asus Xonar U7?
Apr 27, 2015 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Lawlbringer

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So I got a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's for general all-purpose listening(music/games/movies) and wanted to pair it with a decent DAC/Headphone Amp combo for the clearest/loudest audio I could get for about $100. I tried using the Realtek ALC898 onboard audio on my motherboard for a bit at first, but noticed it had this extra muddy bass that made everything sound less clear, plus it wasn't very loud unless I cranked everything up. Right now, I own both the X-Fi HD and Xonar U7 but am debating which to keep.

My main question is, which DAC is in the X-Fi and how does it compare to the one in the Xonar U7? The X-Fi headphone amp is noticeably louder compared to the Xonar U7 which was pretty underwhelming to say the least in terms of just the headphone amp. The other nice perk with the X-Fi is that it has 1/4" plugs so I don't have to use an adapter with my headphones.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as if anyone had an recommendations for another 2-in-1 combo that has a good DAC and loud amp for the 598's. Thanks!

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 2
  Hey guys,

So I got a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's for general all-purpose listening(music/games/movies) and wanted to pair it with a decent DAC/Headphone Amp combo for the clearest/loudest audio I could get for about $100. I tried using the Realtek ALC898 onboard audio on my motherboard for a bit at first, but noticed it had this extra muddy bass that made everything sound less clear, plus it wasn't very loud unless I cranked everything up. Right now, I own both the X-Fi HD and Xonar U7 but am debating which to keep.

My main question is, which DAC is in the X-Fi and how does it compare to the one in the Xonar U7? The X-Fi headphone amp is noticeably louder compared to the Xonar U7 which was pretty underwhelming to say the least in terms of just the headphone amp. The other nice perk with the X-Fi is that it has 1/4" plugs so I don't have to use an adapter with my headphones.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as if anyone had an recommendations for another 2-in-1 combo that has a good DAC and loud amp for the 598's. Thanks!

Which one sounds better to your ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back