Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Music PCI VS Soundblaster Live! 24bit External
Jan 16, 2013 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hcabrita

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody.

I currently run an HTPC with external soundboard - Soundblaster Live! 24bit external.
Have the chance of buying a X-Fi Extreme Music PCI for around 15€ to substitute the 24bit external.

Do you think it's worth the trouble?

Thanks

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 6
I´m not sure if 24bit External is suported, but if so,  the Daniel_K drivers will add all the  X-fi  features  to it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 6
Hello,

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into that.

Anyway, the main thing I'm looking to improve is the stereo sound quality.
The soundboard is used to listen to music and watch movies/shows with a 2.0 setup.
So, surround features, etc., aren't really what I'm looking to improve, but more of the overall sound clarity, quality, etc.

Which one of these two is the best at that?

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into that.

Anyway, the main thing I'm looking to improve is the stereo sound quality.
The soundboard is used to listen to music and watch movies/shows with a 2.0 setup.
So, surround features, etc., aren't really what I'm looking to improve, but more of the overall sound clarity, quality, etc.

Which one of these two is the best at that?

AFAIK, they are much alike (dac, etc), so I think you should put your money in speakers or phones.  However, as I´m no expert, you must wait for other opinions. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 6
The X-Fi XtremeMusic would be noticeably better for gaming, but you didn't mention that at all for your uses.

If anything, you'd probably benefit more from a better A/V receiver with an improved DAC, seeing as this is an HTPC and you're not gaming. Ever thought about running the audio through HDMI?

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Hello,
Gaming is not the main use of the HTPC. Once in a while I do play a little bit, but nothing that would make me loose sleep over the gaming sound.

I use the HTPC 50%/50% between movies+tv shows / music. The main concern for sound quality would be in the stereo áudio, for music listening.
When I have the Money available, I’ll try to get a proper external DAC. Maybe a used Audiolab MDAC, when they start appearing on the 2nd hand market.

For now, I guess I’ll stick to the old sound blaster live! 24bit, since it is external, and according to some people it make's a difference if the soundboard is better isolated from the HTPC’s internal electric noise. Wouldn't have that with the X-Fi.

Anyway, thank you all for your opinions.
PS: I’m running Musicbee with Wasapi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back