Sound Blaster X AE5 predicament.
Jul 8, 2019 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kol12

Head-Fier
I'm looking at moving my PC build into a Lian Li 011 and want to mount my GPU vertically with a PCIe riser. Essentially this blocks off the use of the other PCIe slots for such things like my Sound Blaster AE5.

So I thought maybe I could simply replace the AE5 with an external amp like the Sound Blaster G6 and have the same sound. Seems it isn't so simple as I'm hearing that the G6 is not as powerful as the AE5 and generally the AE5 is a better sound card. Now I am unsure what to do and have a headache. I use HiFiMan HE400i with the AE-5. Is the G6 going to be too weak to drive HE440i satisfactorily?

The other option is the still rather expensive Sound Blaster X7. Is the X7 better than both the AE5 and G6 despite being older? Doesn't the AE5 use a newer and better DAC? Is the X7 still relevant in 2019?

Of course I could mount the GPU normally but I am quite set on the vertical mount. I would not be happy buying the G6 if it sounded worse than the AE5. I would be happy despite having an empty wallet if the X7 gave me an even better sound and solved my problem, that would be like an upgrade. Or if it was somehow possible to continue using the AE5 with a vertical GPU I'm open to that too. I would appreciate any suggestions. :triportsad:

Jul 22, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 4
Give up on mounting the GPU vertically.

The Creative Labs Sound blaster G6 should be fine for driving the 35-Ohm HE400I

Sound Blaster X7 would be overkill for just driving headphones like the HE400i.
Topping DX7s DAC/amp would be a better choice.

But still think you should give up adding a riser card or mounting the GPU vertically.
(and stick with the AE-5)

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 4
I'm looking at moving my PC build into a Lian Li 011 and want to mount my GPU vertically with a PCIe riser. Essentially this blocks off the use of the other PCIe slots for such things like my Sound Blaster AE5.

So I thought maybe I could simply replace the AE5 with an external amp like the Sound Blaster G6 and have the same sound. Seems it isn't so simple as I'm hearing that the G6 is not as powerful as the AE5 and generally the AE5 is a better sound card. Now I am unsure what to do and have a headache. I use HiFiMan HE400i with the AE-5. Is the G6 going to be too weak to drive HE440i satisfactorily?

G6 or any cheaper one as long as it's the same DSP (if you even use that, otherwise use a DAC or the motherboard's output), optical output to AudioGD NFB-11.

Or even if you use the DSP only the cheapest crap motherboards don't have Creative DSP, except for Asus (well, they use Xonar), why not just use the SPDIF output from the motherboard so you can still use Virtual Surround and hook it up to an NFB-11?

The other option is the still rather expensive Sound Blaster X7. Is the X7 better than both the AE5 and G6 despite being older? Doesn't the AE5 use a newer and better DAC? Is the X7 still relevant in 2019?

Of course I could mount the GPU normally but I am quite set on the vertical mount. I would not be happy buying the G6 if it sounded worse than the AE5. I would be happy despite having an empty wallet if the X7 gave me an even better sound and solved my problem, that would be like an upgrade. Or if it was somehow possible to continue using the AE5 with a vertical GPU I'm open to that too. I would appreciate any suggestions. :triportsad:

Personally if the X7 is expensive I'd just reevaluate why I'd have a lot of wasted space between the graphics card and the motherboard or between the graphics card and the glass, unless you mount a pump-res in that space.

Ask yourself this other PC related question: do you really want the 011 Dynamic with nine RGB fans but not necessarily a 360mm rad on the bottom (unless you have the 011 Dynamic XL) or would you have a Fractal case with a Noctua NH-D15 (or at least a Dark Rock Pro 4).

I guess you're halfway to the answer since you have the 011 Dynamic.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 4
Have changed my mind and will probably mount the GPU normally. Not in a position to spend lots on a new case, case fans (011 Dynamic needs lots), additional water cooling gear + a new sound card. A good point about Asus Xonar though and my question is how does Xonar compare to SoundBlasters DSP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back