Sound Blaster E5 Alternative With Virtual Surround Headphone?
Nov 22, 2015 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Head-Fier
I am looking for an external sound card for my pc but also want it to have an optical in so I can plug my xbox one into it. I want to get a virtual surround for headphones from both inputs.

I looked at the sound blaster e5 but from what I can tell it only does stereo via optical.

Is there such a device that will allow me to plug both in and get virtual surround headphone?

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 11
Most soundcards that I've ever used (be them PCI, PCIe, USB, etc) will not accept and decode multi-channel (DTS/Dolby) via S/PDIF input, they will only pass it through to S/PDIF output. Auzentech used to make an HDMI card that had an in/out loop, and iirc that could decode 5.1 via HDMI, but good luck finding one these days.

An AV receiver with either S/PDIF or HDMI inputs would do what you want though, and you could connect your computer to another input. Alternatively, just set the Xbox One for stereo/headphone output (I honestly don't recall if XB1 supports being set for "Headphones" in Settings, but I can't think of a game I own that doesn't have a "Headphones" mode in its in-game options) and feed that into the PC via Optical and then out into your headphones.

Alternately #2: Get that Fiio DAC that can decode Dolby/DTS to stereo and then feed that into the PC's line in and then out to headphones.

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 11
How compact though?

I've had a look around and stumbled across the dss2 which seems to do exactly what I want. Is there anything wrong with this?

It's not a sound card as such but I could send the optical out from my realtek on board to it.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 11
How compact though?

I've had a look around and stumbled across the dss2 which seems to do exactly what I want. Is there anything wrong with this?

It's not a sound card as such but I could send the optical out from my realtek on board to it.

It may not be a decent headphone amplifier, so that's a potential pitfall. As far as compactness, look at some of Marantz, Sherwood, and Sony's offerings. There's also older surround decoders from Technics, Yamaha, Sony, Marantz, etc that come up on ebay pretty regularly, and could at least decode the multi-ch signal and give you a stereo output. But again, remember: the Xbox can provide that stereo output by itself, and many games will provide a proper headphone mix (which will do better than a straight 5.1 -> stereo in most cases).

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 11
I don't want 5.1 to stereo. I want 5.1 to virtual surround such as dolby headphone or equivalent.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

You'd need an AV receiver for that - there's a few (semi-rare) boxes that can do 5.1 Dolby to Dolby Headphone on their own, but as far as I know none of them provide line outputs (meaning you live with their headphone output, which may or may not be great; an AV receiver will have its own headphone output too, but that should be more consistently good across AVRs). You will not get a computer soundcard to do this - they will pass-thru 5.1 Dolby/DTS signals to their digital output (for an external decoder to work on), but won't take the signal in and decode it and provide stereo downmix (of any sort). The Auzen card with HDMI input can decode Dolby/DTS from input (if I remember right) but I don't recall if it supports any sort of headphone simulacra.

All of this said: the Xbox can already do a headphone output mode, and many of the games for Xbox One support a headphone output mode as well, so there's no need for a branded technology and extra gear when the Xbox can just do the work in software (very similar to what a gaming PC with modern games would do), and provide you with a straight digital out.

Your other option is to take 5.1 and have it mixed to stereo, or take stereo to stereo, which is where some of the other equipment I mentioned comes into play.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Hi, my first post =p.
Had to join in, cause I'd like some decent options too.

I can confirm the dss2, I own one. Does what your asking. Used it on my ps3 with some terrible px21s but haven't tried it on my next gen, maybe I shpuld. I got to say in terms of positional audio it's actually better than my (gimmicky) Tritton real 5.1s (the ones with multiple speakers) though the sound quality is better with the Tritton(might be down to the rubbish cans I was using). Also, can't speak from experience but one of my gaming buddies says the astro mixamp does the same.
I'm a ps4 user so can't speak for xbox but the headphones straight option even fora game like BF4 is no match for even the Tritton.
But, I would like the next step up too. Somthing with more.
My dream device would be somthing with virtual surround for headphone output, take optical in so it works with ps4. But, also works with my PC and have a proper sound card suite. Also, the app for those E5s looks awesome.
I actually asked creative about this and Tbh their response was a little "meh" and off topic.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 11
I remember quite a few years ago that Dolby Headphone was going to be the next big thing for downmixing 5.1 to virtual surround. I had the software for it and it sounded pretty good. What happened to it? ;Mix that tech with the E5 and it would be superb.
Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back