sound art technical questions
Jul 27, 2009 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

waveweave

New Head-Fier
hi, I wanna do a project which incorporates weaving audio cables or just wire into a fabric transporting sound.....

would it be possible to create a surface out of wire which does that? what wire would be suitet best and is there a limit in length (or can the sound travel hundreds of meters..and does anybody know where to get say 200m audio cable?

thanks

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 6
So you want to make a wire? But a flat long wire - like a sheet of fabric...made of wire?
Nothing stopping you from doing that but I recommend that you insulate and shield the wire weave otherwise it'd sound terrible.
And yes - you'll get a voltage drop so you'll need to amp the signal.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 6
thanks fot the response. with insulate you mean that the wires dont touch each other as they cross within the fabric. yeah and the sound quality is not really important,its experimental.

I thought if I'd weave a piece of fabric/ a mesh of steel thread or wire and then connect it to an amplifier would touching the fabric result in sound? and if I would also connect say a cd player could that mesh transport the signal to the amplifier?

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by waveweave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks fot the response. with insulate you mean that the wires dont touch each other as they cross within the fabric. yeah and the sound quality is not really important,its experimental.

I thought if I'd weave a piece of fabric/ a mesh of steel thread or wire and then connect it to an amplifier would touching the fabric result in sound? and if I would also connect say a cd player could that mesh transport the signal to the amplifier?

Insulation refers to material that the cable is wrapped in, such as PVC. If you just used a bare metal wire, I think you'd run into a lot of problems, especially if it is moved, disturbed, or touched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back