Souncard to DAC to AMP?
May 15, 2012 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gameaholic

New Head-Fier
I've very new to audiophile stuff and I'm looking to upgrade my computer's audio.   I mostly play games but I also listen to some music and watch movies.  Right now I am using a Creative X-Fi HD hooked up to my computer via USB.  My headset is a Modded Sennheiser HD555.  I will be getting the new Asus Xonar Phoebus soundcard and a new headset (Sennheiser HD598, Razer Tiamate 7.1, or beyerdynamic MMX 300).  My question is would it be overkill to go from the soundcard's optical output into a DAC and then into a headphone amplifier?  I think that would be 3 different volume knobs to worry about. 

May 15, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 4
I think Phoebus should be alright. Its almost same as ST/X and have same amplifier (amp like Fio E9). 
Optical is great to eliminate system/electrical noises (I´m using DG optical-> X-Fi HD USB).. Yeah I too want Xear 3D surround, but hoping that there is coming cheaper sound card wich support new dolby v4 & optical out (Xonar one dream..)

May 15, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I've very new to audiophile stuff and I'm looking to upgrade my computer's audio.   I mostly play games but I also listen to some music and watch movies.  Right now I am using a Creative X-Fi HD hooked up to my computer via USB.  My headset is a Modded Sennheiser HD555.  I will be getting the new Asus Xonar Phoebus soundcard and a new headset (Sennheiser HD598, Razer Tiamate 7.1, or beyerdynamic MMX 300).  My question is would it be overkill to go from the soundcard's optical output into a DAC and then into a headphone amplifier?  I think that would be 3 different volume knobs to worry about. 

Just plug your headphones into the headphone jack on the Phoebus, easy, simple and it works.

May 15, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 4
One of the main points of using a soundcard is to use the DAC, apart from the gaming/surround support.
I don't see why you should use an external DAC. 
As PurpleAngel says, use the headphone amp out, it should suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back