Sounblaster - No Sub Output in Games?
Sep 8, 2005 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Stangs55

100+ Head-Fier
(I know that this isn't a game forum...but you fellas know more about sound than most others
k1000smile.gif
)

Well I upgraded several things at once recently, including my home theatre, which left me with a reciever and 5 Athena speakers + a Sub. So I decided that these would work wonderfully with my new X-Fi Platinum card.

I'm assuming that I have everything setup correctly by going from the 1/8" jacks on my X-Fi back to the RCA 5.1 inputs on my reciever. When it comes to playing movies and music, it's nothing short of amazing. However, when I play games (particullary Battlefield 2 with the Ultra-High X-Fi setting turned on) I am getting absoloutly no output to my subwoofer? Is this correct? I'm pretty sure that everything is physically setup correct b/c I get sub output in movies via Windows Media Player. I've also gone into the THX setup control panel that Soundblaster gives you and I can click the Subwoofer Icon or press the 'Test Channels' and I get sub output.

Any ideas? Any suggestions? Or is this the way it was designed?

I do have the option to run my FL/FR speakers through my sub and set a crossover freq on the actual sub...but this seemed uneccessary b/c I was assuming that my X-Fi would output a sub signal in games....

Thanks in advance.

Sep 9, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangs55
(I know that this isn't a game forum...but you fellas know more about sound than most others
k1000smile.gif
)

Well I upgraded several things at once recently, including my home theatre, which left me with a reciever and 5 Athena speakers + a Sub. So I decided that these would work wonderfully with my new X-Fi Platinum card.

I'm assuming that I have everything setup correctly by going from the 1/8" jacks on my X-Fi back to the RCA 5.1 inputs on my reciever. When it comes to playing movies and music, it's nothing short of amazing. However, when I play games (particullary Battlefield 2 with the Ultra-High X-Fi setting turned on) I am getting absoloutly no output to my subwoofer? Is this correct? I'm pretty sure that everything is physically setup correct b/c I get sub output in movies via Windows Media Player. I've also gone into the THX setup control panel that Soundblaster gives you and I can click the Subwoofer Icon or press the 'Test Channels' and I get sub output.

I do have the option to run my FL/FR speakers through my sub and set a crossover freq on the actual sub...but this seemed uneccessary b/c I was assuming that my X-Fi would output a sub signal in games....

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but no help from me. I just wanted to point the Creative Forums to you. Maybe they have some more knowledge on your matter.

jiitee

Sep 10, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 9
i find creative forums to suck big time and very slow.
Try 3dss they have very small but helpful community who has first hand experience with Creative products as well as home theatre, Hifi, and headphones. Most mods own the X fi just to review as well as every creative product.
http://www.3dss-forums.com/cgi-bin/w...hreads.pl?Cat=

I go there a lot myself and will see a way of answering the questions

Sep 10, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangs55
k1000smile.gif
)

Thanks in advance.

Which mode is your X-Fi set at? You see, there are three modes: Entertainment, Audio Creation and Gaming -- each with a different set of defaults and settings. And when you first install the software, you will get to select which mode to use initially.

Sep 10, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 9
I've posted in the Creative forums with absolutly no luck.

I've also talked to a Creative tech support guy that was about as helplul had I been talking to a brick. He had no idea what he was talking about or any idea what to tell me. The phone conversation ended with him "accidently" hanging up mid-sentence.

I am using the 'Game Mode' when I play the games.

Thanks for the input guys

Sep 10, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 9
Games don't generally produce a separate sub channel output. You need to enable the bass redirection/crossover on the soundcard itself.

A problem with the Creative forums is that the rate of creation of new threads is so high that some questions get bumped off the front page before many people get to see them.

Sep 13, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 9
If you have speakers from Creative, too - you actually do not need to activate the base redirection. Tech support guy from Creative I dealt with a year ago told me to switch it off because their speakers redirect bass on their own. I had old Inspire 5100 hooked up to the Audigy at this stage so I did not expect wonders but his tip did a trick.

Sep 13, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 9
sry, you have athena speakers...If you connect soundcard digitally to the receiver base redirection etcetera do not work. In such scenarion base is redirected thru a filter in the receiver/amp. If you connect card to amp via analog connections the base redirection option should help unless you have some DPL2 or so activated on the receiver. I would make sure you have chosen 5.1. in soundcard - speaker settings, too. Plus: I have heard X-Fi ships with some kind of patch for Doom 3. This has been installed, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back