Souls vs Beats vs Chambers
Mar 25, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #47 of 238
Although I have not heard any of the three, but to my knowledge and logic... The 150 doesn't have any of the "fancy" functions such noise canceling and music sharing which I said earlier take up space, add weight, and create interference which degrade sound quality. Also take the marketing into consideration.. It is almost certain that the ones that have "fancy" functions use similar if not worse drivers than the 150, but remember the "fancy" functions degrade the sound quality making the 150 the best sounding out of the three. As said earlier these are just logical guesses but prove me wrong if you can.

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #48 of 238
In short- active noise cancaling degrades the already mediocre sound of the sl300, and if your looking at headphones for fashion then sound quality and durability is not your priorities so just get whatever you think looks good and don't complain when your cheap plastic headphones crack in a million peaces in a year or less because we all told you to get m-80s.

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #49 of 238
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4k0gDIc5PQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HewY3pXX3tc&feature=player_embedded

Was this the review you saw? Tyll mentions near the end that he likes the SL150s better because of the tighter bass, lack of noise-canceling(eliminating the need for batteries) and that they just sound better overall. He didn't say the SL300s are bad. Just that the 150s are better sounding. The thing I don't like about headphones that require batteries is that they don't sound good unless you turn them on. I have a pair of Sony noise-canceling IEMs and there is a noticeable difference between having it turned on and off. Extra weight, losing sound quality and bass when the batteries die and less comfort around the neck are all reasons I have against the 300s. They do light up, though.

(Edited because original link was screwy. Haven't yet mastered cell phone linking.)

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #51 of 238
Dude, calm down. Lighting up is cool. It's not like I'm vain enough to have the lights on at all times while I wear them. It's just a cool feature. And the chambers are even cooler because they light up to the beat of the music apparently. I haven't seen it in action (but MAN I REALLY DO). And also to the android guy who made that comment about the iPhone. I have the 4S now, had the 3GS back in 09 and tried the Evo 3D because the 3D on it was soo cool. I had it for a month because I returned it because I just like the smoothness of iOS. Anyway I don't know about where you guys live, but where I live Beats are the only popular headphones. No one knows about the souls or chambers or syncs or whatever else. That was another reason why I was thinking about NOT getting the beats, everyone has em.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #52 of 238
I have a 4s and a evo 3d and I agree with you on the whole iphone thing because I never use my evo .But no offence the lights are just silly, and you cant even see the lights when they are on your head anyway. At least somthing like the vmoda side plate system you can buy a new sideplate whenever you get tired of the one you have so you can change them to fit diffrent outfits and looks you want too go for. And the bowers and wilson p5 look awesome (at least too me anyway) and they sound really good and well rounded, and I dont blame you for not liking the look of the hd25 adidas I think they only look good if you get them custom painted in white.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #53 of 238

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4k0gDIc5PQ&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HewY3pXX3tc&feature=player_embedded
Was this the review you saw? Tyll mentions near the end that he likes the SL150s better because of the tighter bass, lack of noise-canceling(eliminating the need for batteries) and that they just sound better overall. He didn't say the SL300s are bad. Just that the 150s are better sounding. The thing I don't like about headphones that require batteries is that they don't sound good unless you turn them on. I have a pair of Sony noise-canceling IEMs and there is a noticeable difference between having it turned on and off. Extra weight, losing sound quality and bass when the batteries die and less comfort around the neck are all reasons I have against the 300s. They do light up, though.
(Edited because original link was screwy. Haven't yet mastered cell phone linking.)

First link is SL150 review. Second link is SL300 review.

Quote:
Why the fudge is lighting up so important, are you that desperate for attention that you need flashing lights on the side of your already cheap shiny plastic headphones?

Hey, it's his money. I just dropped an extra $45 on custom shields for my V-80s. I could have put that money towards an amp but I wanted the extra bling. Washing and waxing your car doesn't make it perform any better, but it's nice to look at so we do it.

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #54 of 238
well I agree that it's his money and he can spend it all he wants, but he came here for suggestion.. which isn't so right... just like you have the right to protest, BUT you can't protest in certain time and in certain places... and everyone has freedom of speech BUT present and imminent danger and libel are not covered. I have to say... this is one of the most calm conversation about "hype" headphones on head-fi... at least we are giving out meaningful advices... It's just a bit frustrating to see that he still decides to go the other way when we suggested to not to....

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #55 of 238
The point I was trying to make but EPIC FAILED at was that im fine if you want too add "bling" too your headphones but the if thats what you want the m80s are just better, you can change the side plates and make the headphones look the way you want and you can change the side plates to match all kinds of clothing,styles, ect and the lights....... well your stuck with them, you cant change the color or the lights unless you want too go the mod/diy route, and you cant change the way the headphones look unless you do something like paint them so you essentially pull them out of the package and thats it, were the m80s there are thousands of different and unique possibilities you have too tailer the way you want your headphones too look. (EDIT) also the astro a30/a40 have a system like the m-80s

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #56 of 238
We're all giving advice with the best intentions. None of us are trying to steer him wrong, but he did set his parameters and he made it clear that style-over-substance wasn't an issue. It can be fun to do evil things, too! How about BOOMPHONES!
http://boomphones.com/
Or Fanny Wang Customs
http://customs.fannywang.com/
I've actually heard the Fanny Wangs aren't that bad. Same sound engineer as the Beats. Nearly the same design. Plus you get to paint it however you like.

DUM DUM DUUM!! The plot thickens!

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #57 of 238
Yeah spidernahn, those are the videos I saw. And I checked out the astros and I'm just not feeling them. I'm realling feeling the chambers right now. If I could just see what they look like when they light up while music is playing, I'd know for sure whether those, or a pair of souls are better. I'll check on SL150's again to see if I can find anymore comparisons between them, the SL300s and Chambers Premium.

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #60 of 238
I have heard the fanny wangs and dispite the silly name they do sound better than beats and they dont have the shiny creaky plastic(fannys have a matt soft touch finish) and picking the exact colors the headphones are going to be is the ultimate form of customization, and astro a30s used to be the headphones that I would wear when ever I would go out and I still like them but they have been replaced with b&w p5s and beyerdynamic dt1350s and sometime I bring somthing like grados. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back