Sould i use WASAPI ?
Mar 14, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 25
WASAPI allows for bitperfect playback, but doesn't allow for sound tweaking, such as the use of EQs. Also, WASAPI has exclusive access to the soundcard, therefore sound outside the audio player will be disabled.

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
Give it a shot and see if you like it.  I say that is because I tried using WASAPI once and did use it for a while and then when I disabled it, I found I preferred not using it.  Just a question, have you ever thought about upgrading your sound card to an external DAC?

hmm external DAC? could you advice me model and price?

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 25

Quote:
WASAPI allows for bitperfect playback, but doesn't allow for sound tweaking, such as the use of EQs. Also, WASAPI has exclusive access to the soundcard, therefore sound outside the audio player will be disabled.

The EQ in Asus Xonar cards works fine with WASAPI.

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
Yes I do. If I didn't use WASAPI the sound would work outside the audio player.

You're kind of missing the point. You can't have bitperfect playback if there's anything changing the sound in the chain at all.

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:
I'd start off small.  The Fiio E10 is a great DAC/Amp.

Unless the Xonar DX is affected by interference problems that make it noisier than it should be, the E10 is not an upgrade as a DAC. However, an external amplifier like the E11 or the O2 might make some difference, depending on the headphones.

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
You're kind of missing the point. You can't have bitperfect playback if there's anything changing the sound in the chain at all.

Please explain. I thought the point of bitperfect playback is just to bypass everything in the OS so that the stream goes directly through the sound card, not that it actually improves the audio quality.

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:

Please explain. I thought the point of bitperfect playback is just to bypass everything in the OS so that the stream goes directly through the sound card, not that it improves the audio quality.

The moment you change something in the sound as to make it anything other than the original bits, it won't be bitperfect, despite sound outside the player being disabled. Bitperfect playback bypasses post processing and any software/hardware resampling, which can leads to a higher fidelity playback. Although, I personally find that bitperfect playback isn't a playback method for absolute quality as I do like to EQ the sound, both to correct any flaws on my gear and for entertainment purposes.

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 25

Quote:

The moment you change something in the sound as to make it anything other than the original bits, it won't be bitperfect, despite sound outside the player being disabled. Bitperfect playback bypasses post processing and any software/hardware resampling, which can leads to a higher fidelity playback. Although, I personally find that bitperfect playback isn't a playback method for absolute quality as I do like to EQ the sound, both to correct any flaws on my gear and for entertainment purposes.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #14 of 25
I like using WASAPI, Kernel Streaming, or ASIO4ALL for bypassing the Windows kmixer.  Personally, I go back and forth between bitperfect and the Electri-Q VST EQ depending on mood, I guess.  I certainly don't like resampling to 48kHz in the Windows kmixer though, so I always use either WASAPI, Kernel Streaming, or ASIO4All .

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
I like using WASAPI, Kernel Streaming, or ASIO4ALL for bypassing the Windows kmixer.  Personally, I go back and forth between bitperfect and the Electri-Q VST EQ depending on mood, I guess.  I certainly don't like resampling to 48kHz in the Windows kmixer though, so I always use either WASAPI, Kernel Streaming, or ASIO4All .

Windows XP resampling engine is awful, Windows Vista/7 not nearly as much. Still, resampling should be done (for those who use it) through either a high quality hardware resampler or a software counterpart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back