Soul SL49, Soul SL99 or Sol Republic Amps HD?
Jun 25, 2013 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ErhuMaster

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!! New guy here! May I have some recommendations on whether to get the Soul SL49, Soul SL99 or Sol Republic Amps HD? Or does anyone have any $100 in-ears to recommend? I personally prefer clarity over bass, but are there products out there that provide above average bass with good clarity?

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 14
If you're looking for clarity over bass, the in-ears you listed are not for that. Don't get near any product that belongs to brands like these, the sound is basically bass cranked up and etched trebles, the midrange is non-existing. I recommend the Shure SE215. They have nice, tight bass with very nice mids and forgiving highs. You can find them for as low as 75 bucks on amazon if you look well. 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372207897&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+se215

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 14
If you're looking for clarity over bass, the in-ears you listed are not for that. Don't get near any product that belongs to brands like these, the sound is basically bass cranked up and etched trebles, the midrange is non-existing. I recommend the Shure SE215. They have nice, tight bass with very nice mids and forgiving highs. You can find them for as low as 75 bucks on amazon if you look well. 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372207897&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+se215

Hey there thanks for the reply! Does frequency response tell us anything about a earphone? The shure se215 has a range of 22-17.5k.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 14
A frequency range only tells you theoretical minimum and maximum, it doesn't even tell you how that response is. Also, our hearing range is from 20hz-20khz, and most portable players and pc soundcards aren't even capable of reproducing those ranges.

Its a common misconception that the wider the frequency response the better the headphones will sound. Unfortunately, this is a long way from the truth. Don't ever choose a headphone based on its frequency response. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 14
A frequency range only tells you theoretical minimum and maximum, it doesn't even tell you how that response is. Also, our hearing range is from 20hz-20khz, and most portable players and pc soundcards aren't even capable of reproducing those ranges.

Its a common misconception that the wider the frequency response the better the headphones will sound. Unfortunately, this is a long way from the truth. Don't ever choose a headphone based on its frequency response. 
Ah, i got it haha thanks for the info man! However, the amps HD seems to have very good reviews for clarity, should i consider them?

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
Ah, i got it haha thanks for the info man! However, the amps HD seems to have very good reviews for clarity, should i consider them?

Personally, i haven't listened to the amps HD, but i did have the tracks HD, decent but not worth the money. 
Although it is really hard to beat the Shure's at that price range, i recommend taking a listen to both and judging on your own, because in the end, we all have different ears :)

Good luck.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 14
Personally, i haven't listened to the amps HD, but i did have the tracks HD, decent but not worth the money. 
Although it is really hard to beat the Shure's at that price range, i recommend taking a listen to both and judging on your own, because in the end, we all have different ears :)

Good luck.

Sure thing. Thanks!

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 14
I have the soul sl99. I've had them since Christmas. They are okay earphones but there's a couple things that break it.
The first is the fit. They have huge drivers that stick out of your ears and it's hard to find a tip that is comfortable. Also the cord is stiff stiff stiff. I live in the Midwest so I've had it through hot and cold temperatures and in both it's so stiff it falls out my ears. Although I thread my headphones through my shirt, if you don't they stay in way better.
My friends say the sound quality is good and I won't disagree with that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 14
I have the soul sl99. I've had them since Christmas. They are okay earphones but there's a couple things that break it.
The first is the fit. They have huge drivers that stick out of your ears and it's hard to find a tip that is comfortable. Also the cord is stiff stiff stiff. I live in the Midwest so I've had it through hot and cold temperatures and in both it's so stiff it falls out my ears. Although I thread my headphones through my shirt, if you don't they stay in way better.
My friends say the sound quality is good and I won't disagree with that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hi there!! So the main issue with the sl99 is the size of it?? Is it heavy??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back