Soul Coughing
Jul 19, 2005 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Julz

500+ Head-Fier
Currently listening to El Oso and am really enjoying, first time I've listened to the band. Anyone got any recommendations as to what to listen to next ???

J

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 17
I like Soul Coughing a lot too.

You can't go too far wrong IMO, as all the releases were good - and there aren't that many before they broke up.

I'd probably go with Ruby Vroom next, although Irresistible Bliss is very good as well. I couldn't live without any of them- but that's me.

If you get really hooked, and need more material, you can find quite a few live recordings of Soul Coughing and Mike Doughty at Live Music Archive - it has totaly legal and free live recordings with the approval of the artists. M.Doughty has been very cool about allowing soundboard recordings at live shows. A lot of the recordings are not all that good, but every once-and-awhile you find a real gem.

Doughty just played free live show in Minneapolis last weekend which I caught some of. Cool guy - and cool music.

Jul 20, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 17
I saw them live at a taping of the Dave Letterman show. The song they played there reminded me of Devo/Cake/Weezer. Not bad company.

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 17
I recently encoded there Irresistible Bliss album into Lossless on my ipod. I was amazed at how good the recording was and amazed by the details I was missing before with lower end headphones.

Songtrack to Mary.. great song.

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
I recently encoded there Irresistible Bliss album into Lossless on my ipod. I was amazed at how good the recording was and amazed by the details I was missing before with lower end headphones.

Songtrack to Mary.. great song.

What was the single from the album before this one. called maybe "3am".. It's 3am and you are listening to the sounds of Los Angeles.."

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 17
Picked up Irresistible Bliss today. Haven't listened yet, but will soon ! Thanks for the input, guys !

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 17
I have never heard of this. Can someone describe what type of music this is?

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 17
I'm not sure I can give a description that does it justice, but you can easily find sites that allow a free listen to say 30 sec. or so.

iTunes Music Store has samples of the first 30 sec of each song they sell.

ArtistDirect.com has short samples too. here is a link to what they have for Soul Coughing. If you're interested in a particular release, click on it, they have samples of most tracks, lots of artist info, bio, etc. A great resource.

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 17
After reading the first few posts in this thread the other day I gave a listen to "El Oso". While the music was OK, I found them to be a bit lacking lyrically, enough so that it had a negative impact on the overall enjoyment.
Is this typical of their work?

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Can someone describe what type of music this is?

It was (they've long since broken up) a great band fronted by a "singer"-songwriter/guitarist whose lyrics are somewhat hip-hop influenced, but more like beat poetry, delivered in an extremely stoned drawl. To me, the lyrics are very clever, witty, yet can be touching, too.

The real star is the rhythm section, the bass player is just incredible (plays stand-up bass and he's now a hot session musician), and the drummer is fantastic, plays hip-hop influenced beats, no samples or loops, it's all him. There's also a guy on tape loops who adds atmospheres and soundscapes behind the band. Very original sound.

Quote:

After reading the first few posts in this thread the other day I gave a listen to "El Oso". While the music was OK, I found them to be a bit lacking lyrically, enough so that it had a negative impact on the overall enjoyment.

El Oso is generally considered the least of their output, they were breaking up, and drugs were taking their toll. I still love it, though. Saw them on tour after El Oso came out and they were very good live. Great band, IMO.

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
El Oso is generally considered the least of their output, they were breaking up, and drugs were taking their toll. I still love it, though. Saw them on tour after El Oso came out and they were very good live. Great band, IMO.

OK, in that case I will check out an earlier release . . . any recommendations?

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #14 of 17
Thanks Markl - I'll check this out!

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

OK, in that case I will check out an earlier release . . . any recommendations?

NiceCans, Irresistable Bliss, the second album is my own favorite. Worked with a strict producer who beat them into shape, forced them to focus and tighten up, it's the most immediate and accessible. Mixed by Tchad Blake and mastered by Bob Ludwig so it sounds like a million bucks.

BTW, there's an excellent compilation from Rhino (which also has great sound quality) called Lust In Phase which is pretty good one-stop shopping for the mildly curious, plus a few rarities for fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back