Souce Question Regarding bit/Khz
Dec 9, 2007 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nick20

Banned
Hi, I was wondering if was best to use 24bit or 16bit when using CD's/SACD. I don't know a lot about bits/Khz, but something tells me, the more bits/Khz the better.. ? But I was just wondering which "option"/selection of bit/Khz would be best.

Thanks,

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I was wondering if was best to use 24bit or 16bit when using CD's/SACD. I don't know a lot about bits/Khz, but something tells me, the more bits/Khz the better.. ? But I was just wondering which "option"/selection of bit/Khz would be best.

Thanks,
-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

CDs are by definition 16 bits and 44.1KHz sampling. There is a lot of debate about whether upsampling really does improve the sound, but you cannot gain any more information, anything above 22.05khz is gone forever and changing the bit-rate to 24 pads the sample with 8 zeros as far as I know.

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anything above 22.05khz is gone forever and changing the bit-rate to 24 pads the sample with 8 zeros as far as I know.

In lamens terms, this means? I don't know anything about upsampling, etc. I have heard of it, but that's about it.

So it is probably better to run in 16-bit then...

Dec 9, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anything above 22.05khz is gone forever and changing the bit-rate to 24 pads the sample with 8 zeros as far as I know.

Quote:

In lamens terms, this means? I don't know anything about upsampling, etc. I have heard of it, but that's about it.

So it is probably better to run in 16-bit then...

Sorry if I confused the issue

A CD player that uses 16 bit sampling cannot extract more bits of information if it is running at 48KHz, 96KHZ or 192KHz, nor can a CD player get more than 16 bits off the CD even if it is a 20 bit or 24 bit CD player.

Having said that you might find it difficult to actually buy a 16 bit CD player new, some are 18, 20 or 24 bits some are 1 bit (but sample more frequently and use a rather different system) .

SACD is different again, but it requires a special player and DVD-A is like CD but can play audio at 16, 20 or 24 bits and can do sampling rates up to 192khz. This theoretically gives you better sound as in principle you can record frrquencies up to 96Khz ideal for annoying your pet bat.

The short answer is dont worry too much about the bits or the khz, worry about what it sounds like and only you can judge that.

For what it is worth I own 3 home CD playing devices , one is a 1 bit and samples at 352K, one is a 24 bit 96khz and one is an 18 bit and oversamples at 8x the standard 44.1 sampling rate - they all sound pretty much the same to me.

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Thank you.

I can select 16 bit or 24 bit in the menu. I will do a little experiment and see what the end results are, to me and my ears.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

So? Howzit sound?

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So? Howzit sound?

Listening right now.. or was. I took a small break to take my medication (20 minutes before bedtime) and have 6 songs remaining.

Since switching over, I have sold the front tube I was using, and I'm getting a better on in the mail sometime next week. Also, my isolation setup will be arriving early next week, so things could change.

As of right now, sounds the same to me. Listening to some Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back