Sorting out ground hum help please
Apr 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

davidc2

Head-Fier
I put my Beyer Dynamic MMX 300 headset on this evening to do some work - screen recording with narration - and found there was a loud hum in the head set.  I haven't used the headset for a couple of months so I'm not sure what, if any, change in hardware configuration, may have caused the hum - it has been fine for the last 12 months.

Basically, it doesn't matter where the headset is plugged in to - directly into a usb socket on the motherboard or a powered usb hub, the hum is there.  It is low in pitch and sounds like a mains or ground problem.  It is the mic in the headset that causes the hum.  When I play audio through the computer (Xonar Essence STX>DACMagic Plus>Genelec speakers) there is no hum at all.  Similarly, when I plug headphones into the DAC there is no hum.  It is just related to the usb mic on the headset.

With the headset on, when I touch and grip the DAC on my desk, or pretty much anything else metal plugged in there, the hum decreases greatly, but when I touch the metal work of the pc, it really increases.  Not touching anything with my hand, removing a usb printer cable from the usb hub when the headset is plugged in also adds to the hum.

I cannot understand what has changed to cause this problem since the last time I used the headset.  The only things I added were new speakers, a new DAC and a usb3 card reader.

I'm stuck on this and could really do with some help.  I've got recordings of the hum if that helps.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back